Saturday, October 4, 2008

Early Saturday Morning - Things and Stuff

Earlier in the day I had my every 6-8 week finger-prick at my cardiologist’s office to monitor my coumadin level (OK, as usual) and then got my annual flu shot. Hey, remember, if you are over 50 - get your shot now!!!

When I got back to the apartment I settled in and watched The Tampa Bay Rays win their second game against The White Sox, putting them up 2-0 in the series. Way to Go Rays.

Then it was off to the theater district to see the Broadway revival of David Mamet’s “Speed the Plow,” which I had never seen. The blurb had said it was ...” an outrageous take on sex and power in Hollywood”... and, frankly, that kinda sounded a warning bell in my head, like the phrase “dark-comedy” does. Also, I am not a huge Mamet fan. Well, it was a terrific theater experience and the two male leads, Jeremy Piven and Raul Esparza, were outstanding. The 90 minutes whizzed by. Wow!!

After the show was over I walked back to the apartment while listening to the Fucksox/LA Angels game, which, dammit to hell, the Fucksox won 7-5, to lead their series 2-0. Oh, well ...

Have an interesting weekend lined up, as follows:

Saturday - 8:00 “Boy’s Life,” an Off-Broadway comedy/drama starring Jason Biggs about 3 college buddies making their way in NYC. (discounted TDF ticket).

Sunday - 3:30 “The Night Carter Was Bad” - Off-Broadway - “Big beers, tipsy walks on building tops, and pillow fights litter this dramatic comedy about the misbehavior and haphazard love life of a commitment-phobe named Carter. Stumbling through an office romance with a dancing personal assistant leaves him justifying overtime hours to a girlfriend who suspects he's being bad. This racy romantic comedy explores wild office shenanigans and one man's inability to commit in this disarming, funny and sometimes quite rueful new play.” (complimentary ticket).

7:00 - “Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me” - (Off-Broadway) “Think your life is screwed? Relive your own dramas with this manic, musical tale following gay LJ as he journeys from dysfunctional family members to fast friends, all the while referencing ‘The Little Mermaid,’ ‘Brokeback Mountain’ and ‘Sex & the City!” (complimentary ticket).

On Tuesday I saw “Young Frankenstein” for the second time. The first time was in its last preview performance before Opening Night, with a very expensive ticket. I liked it then. This time was with a discounted TDF ticket in virtually the same location in the orchestra as my first ticket. I liked the show this time, too, and I really was in the mood for something zany and funny, which this show is.

Wednesday was a New York Philharmonic concert and it was OK, even though it included another one of those “World Premiere” atonal pieces of dreck that I hate so much. Had a rather unnerving experience, though, before the concert began, at intermission and then at the end. What you ask? My seat was the second-in from the aisle. Seated to my right, on the aisle, was a lady with a cane who proclaimed herself to be legally blind (I later learned she was 77). We started talking.

In a few minutes I felt a tug on my left arm and I interrupted my conversation and looked to my left and seated there was another older woman, also with a cane (I later learned she was 76). She started asking me about the program and we chatted until there was a tug on my right arm. And this went on and on as they were obviously vying for my attention. It did stop, thankfully, once the concert started.

At intermission I bolted out of my seat. Neither woman left and I noticed that they just stared straight ahead, no interaction between them. I got back to my seat just minutes before the concert began but the tugging resumed until the orchestra started playing. Oh, God. It was really awkward for me because I didn't know how to react.

As soon as the concert was over the lady to my right tugged on my arm and asked me to help her get up, which I did. As she was leaning on her cane she said to me: “tell that lady I said goodbye,” and then she slowly walked out as the orchestra got ready to play an encore.

When it was over I told the lady on the left what the lady on the right had said and her response was: “she is such a bitch and she’s a little crazy too.” Whoa. I asked if they knew one another she said yes, they had been friends for 25 years until this summer when, among other things ...”she stole my boyfriend.” OMG!!

I got the hell out of there as quickly as I could. Please dear God, don’t let them be subscribers to the same series as I am, please please please.

Thursday night I saw a very well written and performed Off-Broadway show called “Outside Inn” - “Paul, a disillusioned German civil engineer unintentionally participates in the death of his boss, a Svengali-like tycoon. Rather than going to the police, Paul runs away to a small town in Arizona. With his mistress Marina by his side, he steals the identity of his former boss and flees across the Mexican border. The husband and wife Paul and Marina leave behind must face a future alone and a past that continues to haunt them.” (complimentary ticket).

Damn, this has gone on much too long and it is getting very late, so ...

Go Gators and Go Tampa Bay Rays!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: