Friday, August 1, 2014

Dian, Marty & Meske - The Revolution, Etc - The Wankies - And Stuff


Friday==>Good morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers.

It is a hazy day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. At noon it is 82ยบ with only a slight breeze coming off the Hudson River.

Rain is in the forecast for later in the afternoon and into the evening and that is OK because your favorite blogger has things that need to be done here in the apartment, details below.

So ... let’s get this posting started with what went down yesterday ... beginning with ...

In the mid-afternoon I met up with my buddies Dian Crystal aka My Lady and Marty Kosarik aka Whatever at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant, Meske, located on West 47th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

As usual, we each ordered the same thing, the Vegetarian Platter, and it was AWESOME.

We did some much needed/wanted catching up including details on Marty’s recent family outing down at Disney World in Orlando, FL.

When we finished our meal Dian and I went to the Godiva Store at 50th and 7th Avenue so she could get her chocolate fix and Whatever headed home.

Then Dian and I came back to PHC where we chilled until it was time to head downtown to The Village for our evening’s entertainment, an Off Broadway show at the Minetta Lane Theatre on ... tada ... Minetta Lane.

It was at this point your favorite blogger made a grievous error. Yes ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I must admit that I mistakenly elected to challenge My Lady regarding the location of our theatre. For whatever unfathomable reason I insisted that it was off of 7th Avenue and she maintained it was off of 6th Avenue. WTF??

Now, you should understand that since Billi Pod has been in NYC he has probably been to shows at this venue at least 50 times ... but ... for some unknown reason he was fixated on 7th Avenue, rather than its actual location==>off of 6th Avenue. WTF??

Thank God I didn’t accept My Lady’s offer to make a bet. But ... trust me ... for the remainder of the afternoon and evening she held this error/mistake over my head and continues to do so today.

Oh well ... moving on ... we left PHC and began our walk downtown to The Village, initially via 9th Avenue. 

Dammit ... along the way she won another challenge, this time regarding the availability of a crosswalk (I won’t bore you with the details).

It was a nice walk and My Lady took a lot of pictures along the way. She also took many opportunities to very vocally remind me of my two transgressions.

We got to Minetta Lane, off of 6th Avenue, and picked up our tickets, which were not together. My Lady’s seat was better, of course. Before the show we ran into our mutual friend Kim, or whatever his name is this week.

Now ... about the show ... 

REVOLUTION IN THE ELBOW OF RAGNAR AGNARSSON, FURNITURE PAINTER - “Deep in the elbow of Ragnar Agnarsson, furniture painter, sits Elbowville, where we find three brothers, Peter, Alex and Stein, living in perfect harmony until Peter and Alex fall in love with the same girl, the beautiful and charismatic Brynja. After a brotherly showdown, Alex leaves town while Peter stays in Elbowville where he becomes rich and powerful.”==>D

This was the first preview performance, but ... folks ... this show is a mess because the story line is confusing, uninvolving and insipid.

Now ... the cast is excellent and they work their butts off singing and dancing to the acceptable rock-music score.

The cast is headed by multiple award-winning Cady Huffman as the manipulative Manuela, but, IMHO, the best performance comes from Marrick Smith as the charismatic brother, Peter.

My seat was in the first row, about as far house right as you can get in this theater and it was directly underneath a speaker. Not good.

Just before the show started a longtime friend, Paddy Haughey, came over and asked me to join him. He had an extra ticket and was seated in the 3rd row, a much better location.

At intermission a large number of the audience left, including someone whose name rhymes with flyin’. Paddy and I stayed until the bitter end. 

He gave the show an F.

It will be interesting to see what the critics have to say when it opens on August 13th. I believe they will trash it.

Billi Pod says==>you are hereby warned.

The show is in previews at the Minetta Lane Theatre, off of 6th Avenue, in The West Village, opens on August 13th, has a running time of 2:25, with intermission, and is an open run.

Moving on ...

When I got back to PHC I have to admit, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, that I was kinda tired.

It had been a great day with friends and walking and I wasn’t going to let the crappy show spoil it.

When midnight came I had recorded 6.44 miles on my Pedometer. Not bad ... not bad at all.

Moving on some more to today ...

After this posting is finished I will spend the remainder of the afternoon taking care of a mess that was created by Chase Bank.

What am I talking about I know you are all asking your inner selves??? Well ... inner selves ...

I have been a Chase Master Card holder since 1995 and it is my primary card for online transactions etc, including automatic payments. My current card does not expire until 2016.

Well, out of the blue, we were notified that Chase was canceling its relationship with Master Card and we would be issued new Visa Cards. OMG! WTF?

On Tuesday I received my new card, that doesn’t expire until 2018. My MC will not be valid after August 15th.

Meaning ... I have to notify at least 15 sites of my new card information ... and ... if you have ever had to do this you know how frustrating it can be.

Oh well ... ain’t nothing I can do about it except bitch and moan.

Then ... as mentioned in an earlier posting ... I will remain in the comfortable confines of PHC to watch ...

Game one of the 3-game YANKEES/BOSTON FUCKSOX series @ 7:05pm from that fetid cesspool known as Fenway Park.

On the mound for The Yankees (55-52) will be Chris Capuano (0-0) recently acquired from Boston vs. Anthony Ranaudo (0-0) for The FuckSox (48-60) who are in last place in the AL East.

As you sports fans know, yesterday was the trade deadline and there were major transactions that will probably have an impact on who will make it to the post-season.

Unfortunately, The Yankees did not make a “major” trade. Their trade(s) is best summed-up in the following from The Daily News ...

“As American League contenders load up for World Series push at trade deadline, the best Bombers can do to boost their anemic offense is deal for struggling Stephen Drew and utility man Martin Prado.”  
back page - The Daily News

So ... on this happy note will post this and move on to the notification stuff ... WTF!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.44 miles (or, 14,077 steps)

Total mileage for July==>123.95 miles (average 4.00 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2014==>831.12 miles (average 3.92 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: