Thursday, May 29, 2014

Les Miz Still Earns An A++



Thursday==>Billi Pod is happy to report to his loyal and faithful readers and followers that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was totally excellent ... so ... why don’t we get started with ...

Billi Pod’s report card on his first entertainment event of the day ... the Off Broadway show ... 

ANNAPURNA, twenty years ago Emma walked out on her husband Ulysses, in the middle of the night. After hearing he's in dire straits, she tracks him down in the wilds of Colorado in a grungy trailer, hooked to an oxygen tank==>B+

I am sooooo glad I finally got the opportunity to see this emotionally engrossing drama. It closes its successful run on Sunday.

The two characters are skillfully portrayed by real-life married couple Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally.

The back and forth banter between them, sometimes funny, sometimes profane, often angry, revolves around the question of why she left him with their son, who is now 25. The final scene when all is revealed is highly emotional and gut-wrenching.

The house was full and the audience was very much into the show.

Dian Crystal aka My Lady was at the same performance and she gives it about the same letter grade.

Billi Pod says==>If you can, catch this show before it closes.

It is playing at the Theatre Row Complex on my West 42nd Street block, has a running time of 1:35, without intermission, and ends its run on Sunday. 

When the show was over I came back to the apartment and had my usual pre-theater snack, a fruit and cheese plate, and then it was time for my next entertainment event ...

LES MISERABLES - “The recently opened revival of the musical about a Frenchman who steals a loaf of bread and lives to regret it==>A++

This is the same grade it received when I saw it on April 23, 2014, my 80th birthday present to self.

When I saw it then the role of Javert, usually played by Will Swinson, was played by his understudy, who did an excellent job. Well, last night it was played by Swinson and he did an incredible job as did Ramin Karimloo as Jean Valjean.

As I reported yesterday, my ticket for this performance was secured through The Actor’s Fund Benefit. My seat was acceptable, in the orchestra, one row from the rear, house left. As a major plus, I was just two seats away from my theater-buddy Mary Maggio and her charming Mother, Mary Ann.

The house was full and at curtain call we gave the cast a roaring, and I mean, a roaring standing ovation.

Now, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting I must reveal that Les Miz is one my favorite musicals of all-time. I have seen it numerous times on Broadway and in London ... but I still feel comfortable in saying to you loyal and faithful readers and followers==>You just gotta see this show!!

It is playing at the Imperial Theatre on West 45th Street, has a running time of 2:55, with intermission, and is an open run.

When I got back to PHC I watched the final innings of the YANKEES/CARDINALS game, details below, had some pizza, and reflected on how lucky I am to be able to live in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is ...

8:00==>A LOSS OF ROSES - “William Inge’s poignant story of a young man's struggle for independence and an older woman's search for connection, set against the backdrop of a small midwestern town in the 1930s.” (Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)

This drama opened to mostly favorable reviews, is playing at the Theatre at St. Clement’s on West 46th Street, has a running time of 2:10, with intermission, and runs through June 7th.

We will now close this posting with the usual ... some sports ...

Last night, in St. Louis, The Yankees (28-24) beat The Cardinals (29-24) by a score of 7-4, after jumping off to a quick 7-0 lead.

With this win the Yankees ended their 9-game road trip with a record of 5-4. They have today off and then begin a 6-game home-stand on Friday with 3-games vs. Minnesota and 3-games vs. Oakland.

OK ... it is a beautiful day today so your favorite blogger needs to post this and then do a major walk and wander session, probably down in the Chelsea area.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.67 miles (or, 8,037 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>545.44 miles (average 3.69 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: