Wednesday, May 7, 2014

An INCREDIBLE Time With Dian Crystal, Marty Kosarik and Vera Olichney!!



Wednesday==>Had an INCREDIBLE time yesterday with my dear friends Dian Crystal, Marty Kosarik and Vera Olichney as they hosted a delayed 80th birthday celebration for me at Queen of Sheba, an Ethiopian restaurant at 10th Avenue and 46th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood. In the photograph, left to right, it is Vera, Marty, Me, and Dian.
We met up at 3:00pm and had a great time with some much needed catching up. As we do at our other Ethiopian restaurant, Meske, we all ordered the same thing, the Vegetarian Platter. It was AWESOME.
During the course of the conversations I brought up my new (to me) 42” TV, the birthday gift from John Scott Reed aka Fabson. Someone, I don’t remember who, said that they would like to see it and could they all come back to PHC with me. Of course I said yes (hoping that I had left the place in decent shape).

When we got back to my building Dian suddenly told us that she had to pick up something at a pet store and that she would join us later. She split and we went up to PHC on the 41st floor. Marty was bitching and said something to the effect that Dian suddenly splitting like this was so typical, and I agreed.

Anyway ... as Marty was fine-tuning some of the settings on the TV the doorbell rang and I got up to let Dian in and this is what I saw when I opened the door. SURPRISE!!!
Yeah, the whole thing had been a set up. They had left the gifts with the staff earlier. All of this was a TOTAL surprise.

In addition to the awesome birthday cake ...
they also gave me a framed copy of the front page of the New York Times on April 23, 1934, and an Apple gift card.
TOTALLY AWESOME!!

When they left I went down with them to the lobby to give the doormen some of the cake as a thank-you for being part of the “scheme.”

So==>Dian, Marty and Vera - THANK YOU SO MUCH!! The three of you personify the meaning of friendship.

Moving on ...

My entertainment event for the evening was an Off Broadway show in my 'hood ...

THE RIVALS, the revival of the bawdy 1775 (yeah, that’s the correct year) comedy about a woman determined to marry for love and into poverty==>B+

I found this show to be very funny, once my ear adjusted to the English accents.

The acting is excellent, especially Cary Donaldson in the the lead role of Captain Jack Absolute and Carol Schultz in the role of the “misspeaking” Mrs. Malaprop, a character which actually gave birth to the word “malapropism.” 

This house was almost full and everyone around me seemed to be really enjoying the trip back to 1775 English humor.

This show just opened, is playing at The Pearl Theatre on West 42nd Street, has a running time of 2:15, with intermission, and runs through May 25th.

Moving on ...

Tonight’s entertainment event is an Off Broadway show ...

7:00==>THE LOVE SONG OF ALFRED J. HITCHCOCK - “This new play takes an unprecedented look at the life and mind of one of the century's most fascinating cultural icons. With great insight and stunning lyricism, this critically acclaimed character study reveals the story of the Hitchcock you never knew." (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This drama is playing at the 59E59 Theatre Complex on East 59th Street, one of my favorite venues, has a running time of 1:40, with intermission, and runs through May 25th.

Moving on ... for you Marty ...

Last night The Yankees bounced back, winning a nail-biter against The LA Angels by a score of 4-3 on a HR from Brian Roberts in the top of the 9th inning.

Tonight at 10:00pm is the final game of the 3-game series. On the mound for The Yankees will be Vidal Nuno (0-0) vs. Hector Santiago (0-5) for The Angels.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, your favorite blogger needs to post this and then head out to his cardiologist's office, way over on the far Eastside, for the routine finger-prick to check his coumadin level.

Yeah, yesterday was a TOTALLY AWESOME day with friendship, enjoyable entertainment, excellent weather and decent walking mileage.

Yes==>I am sooooooooo lucky!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.10 miles (or, 8,979 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>440.76 miles (average 3.50 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: