Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Monday’s Doubleheader Was Excellent

Had a great time yesterday @ Angus McIndoe, my favorite Theatre District restaurant, with Dian Crystal (on the left) and Vera Olichney (on the right).


Dian finally got around to redeeming my 2011 birthday gift.


Not only did we have a great meal but we also had a lot of fun talking about our respective theater obsession(s) and how much we loved living in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. Dian was born and raised in The Lower Eastside and Vera has lived here for at least 25+ years.


When dinner was over we split ... they had tickets for ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER and I was scheduled to attend a staged reading of THROUGH THE DOOR.


THROUGH THE DOOR was produced by my FaceBook friend Kenny Howard and directed by my FaceBook friend (and now NYC resident) David Lee. It was a very entertaining event and the cast was excellent, headed by Kerry Butler.


Nice job guys. Hope the show is able to move on to the next level.


Today is yet another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ...

3:30==>A TOMATO CAN’T GROW IN THE BRONX - “A dysfunctional blue-collar Jewish family is languishing under the thumb of a patriarch, who employs emotional tyranny over his fragile middle-aged daughter to keep everyone in line.” (Off Broadway - free ticket)


This is another staged reading and in the stellar cast is ... tada ... Brooke Shields, currently starring in the soon-to-close THE ADDAMS FAMILY.


Then for this evening is ...


7:00==>SISTER ACT - “Disco diva Deloris Van Cartier has dreams of hitting the big time. But when she walks in on a ‘hit’ of a different kind, the cops hide her in the last place anyone would think to look - a convent.” (Broadway - discounted TDF ticket).


While this Broadway musical received only so-so reviews from the critics, every one of my theater buddies who have seen the show have uniformly loved it, so I am going in with a very open mind. I hear that it is basically==>just fun<==and Billi Pod is just fine with that.


Tomorrow is going to be another event filled day starting with a 2 hour dentist ordeal and then a brief finger-prick session with my cardiologist and then a matinee performance of the well-reviewed Broadway show STICK FLY and then, for the evening, a new comedy in previews called CLOSE UP SPACE, starring David Hyde Pierce of Fraiser fame.


Somewhere in that schedule I am hoping to work in Paul Hughes of Lakeland, who is in town on a pre-Christmas theater-binge.

I have to admit that my mental countdown to heading down to Columbia has begun and I am beginning to get into the ... “why can’t I just teleport myself there?” mode.


Getting there from NYC ain’t the easiest of tasks because the number of nonstop flights is now down to only one each way and this holiday season Delta almost doubled the fare. Bastards!!


No way was Billi Pod going to play their “game” so through his trusted Travel Agent Blanche Bryant he booked other options, saving at least $300+, all on US Air. Yes, he has layovers but so what ...


Briefly ... I will leave LGA on Thursday @ 1:30pm and arrive in Columbia, via Philadelphia, @ 5:48pm.


On the return trip I will leave Columbia on Christmas afternoon ... OK ... OK ... now calm down ... calm down ... Dr. John has to work on Christmas day and overnight ... so we are doing everything on Christmas Eve ... anyway ... leaving Columbia at 2:23pm and arriving at LGA, via Charlotte, at 8:07pm.


On the return flight there is, maybe, the possibility of scheduling an earlier flight, once I arrive in Charlotte. We will see ...


Well, my loyal and faithful readers, I hope each and everyone is becoming filled with the Holiday Spirit ... so ...


Oh ... what a positive feedback on yesterday’s “Condom on the Sleeve” posting - thanks everyone.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-118

No comments: