Thursday, December 8, 2011

Entertainment Report Cards and Lots of Other Stuff

Thank God the rain has gone. Yesterday was one of the nastiest days/nights of the year. It began raining in the early morning and continued throughout the day and into the evening. Very very windy too. Very very unpleasant.


When Billi Pod crashed at the usual 2:00am it was still raining.


It is now clear and cold in The Big Apple==>37ยบ @ 8:30am.


Have a bit of catching up to do on this blog since yesterday’s posting was exclusively about my recollections of December 7, 1941.


In that regard I want to thank everyone who took the time to email and text, especially the response from Gordon Warner of Tavares, FL, who commented on my uncertainty about whether I actually heard the news about the attack while riding in the family car ...


“I was also age 7 in the second grade on December 7, 1941. As the day was Sunday and the weather in Chicago, my home town, was unseasonably warm, naturally my father took me fishing - though I don't remember where. On the drive home in Dad's 1940 Oldsmobile, he turned on the car radio and we listened to the account of the Pearl Harbor attack. Of course I didn't understand most of what I heard on the radio and I was constantly "shushed" when I attempted to ask questions. My father, as I recall, did not say a word on the drive home."


"My main point, Bill is your dad probably did have a car radio. They were early jobs with tubes and would run the car battery down in just a few hours if played while the car was stopped. I listened to a White Sox double header one Sunday while my dad was fishing and - of course - the battery was dead when it was time to go home. I hope this reinforces some of your recollections.”


Thanks Gordon, I am now pretty confident that we, indeed, got the news while riding in our car.


Billi Pod will now bring you loyal and faithful readers up-to-date with his report cards on his recent entertainment events ...

ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER==>B-<== totally unbelievable story line saved by a sublime score and Harry Connick, Jr’s performance.


My discounted TDF ticket was in the upper nosebleed section of the mezzanine, row O, as far house right as you can get - not good.


I had not seen any theater productions of this show nor the movie, so I really didn’t know what to expect. There has been a lot of neigh-saying about the gender changes in the story line but that had no impact on me.


I think it opens shortly and Billi Pod has a gut feeling that it will have a short life. We will see.


Speaking of short life==>it is reported that BONNIE & CLYDE will close by year’s end. I hope not. Will keep you advised.


Moving on to yesterday’s doubleheader ...

2:00==>SEPARATIONS - staged reading of two short plays by Martin Halpern --


What the Babe Said ... “a human interest story about the relationship between a baseball manager and his aging centerfielder.”


Joint Return ... “a story about a separated middle-aged couple tying up loose ends in their relationship.”


Billi Pod’s report card==>C<==neither play had any oomph and both were kinda boring.


Then, for the evening was ...


7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - Featuring Violinist Joshua Bell. “The program was: Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D major; Oliver Knussen: Flourish with Fireworks; and Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring.” (subscription series)


Flourish with Fireworks was a 3-minute piece of atonal drek, but, Thank God ... the rest of the program was outstanding and earns a grade of==>A.


OMFG!! People ... Joshua Bell’s performance of Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto was to die for. He got a roaring standing ovation.


Billi Pod’s entertainment event for tonight is ...


7:15==>FARM BOY - “This sequel to the acclaimed novel War Horse is a moving account of the changing face of the English countryside and is a reminder that stories really can reach out across the generations. The play explores the bonds between grandfather and grandson and combines drama, storytelling and original music.” (Off Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)


This is playing at the 59th Street Theatre complex and is part of their Brits Off Broadway series. The advance buzz is very favorable and I am looking forward to seeing it.


Did you realize that Christmas is just around the corner? Maybe I need to think about doing Christmas stuff ... or ... maybe not ... I still have lots of time ... right ... ‘course I do ...


John Horne and his girlfriend Amanda Edge from Anna Maria, FL, and their 34 person posse arrive in The Big Apple today and I look forward to spending some time with them. I will join them for lunch on Saturday at Maloney and Porcelli, a very upscale Midtown restaurant.


Congrats to==>Guns N’ Roses; Red Hot Chili Peppers; and Beastie Boys for their recent induction into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The Boston FuckSox’s new manager, Bobby Valentine, has now entered into the battleground by making comments yesterday that drew the following local headlines ...


‘I HATE THE YANKEES’ - Bobby V wastes no time jumping into the rivalry with Sox. - NY Post


BOBBY V, AS IN VENOM - Valentine’s day is one of hate for his once beloved Bombers - Daily News


VALENTINE’S FIRST JAB - New York Times


Oh, yes, Bobby Baby ... bring it on!!


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-106

No comments: