Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I Am Harvey Milk - Uncanny Valley


Tuesday==>We will get today’s posting started with Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s outstanding concert at Lincoln Center ...

I AM HARVEY MILK @ Avery Fisher Hall, this part choral work, part theater piece weaves the story of Harvey Milk’s life from boyhood to his rise as the first openly gay man to hold public office in California, to his assassination==>A+

What a totally enjoyable evening this was, with terrific performances of the very emotionally involving story line that followed Milk’s life from early childhood until his untimely death at the hands of a homophobic fellow San Francisco council member.

The music and lyrics are by the multi-talented Andrew Lippa, who also performed as Harvey Milk. The other performers were Kristin Chenoweth and an amazing young man, Noah Marlowe, as the young Harvey Milk.

The 120+ member All-Star Broadway Men’s Chorus was totally outstanding (and nice on the eyes, too) as was the Orchestra of St. Luke’s.

The program got underway with a brief introduction from Whoopi Goldberg and ran for about 1:15. The house was almost full and the audience was very much into the show. When the final number, “Tired of the Silence,” was completed we leapt to our feet to give the performers a roaring ovation.

As I posted yesterday, proceeds from this event will go to the Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) a professional provider of social support and programming for at-risk lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning (LGBTQ) youth.

My discounted TDF seat was excellent, in the orchestra, row M, far house right.

I am soooooooo glad that I was able to be at this historic event.

I do have to admit to being somewhat emotionally drained when I got back to PHC.

Now ... moving on to tonight’s entertainment event ... the Off Broadway show ... 

7:15==>UNCANNY VALLEY - “Meet Julian - one body part at a time - the product of a life extension laboratory. Claire, a neuroscientist, is tasked with teaching him to be human. This mesmerizing examination of the future, sparks an ethical and social debate about the consequences of creation.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This drama is playing at the 59E59 Theatre Complex (one of my favorite venues) on East 59th Street, has a running time of 1:30, without intermission, and runs through October 26th.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, I need to post this because I have to go over to the far Eastside to my heart doctor’s office to get blood work done in preparation for my semiannual checkup scheduled for next Tuesday. The blood work is “fasting” so I am starving right now ... so ... the sooner the better.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.33 miles (or, 9,469 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>1,133.54 miles (average 4.06 miles per day)

GO GATORS!! 

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: