Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Call From Army Guy==>AWESOME!!

I can’t believe it. At around 8:30am this morning my cellphone rang. When I answered it a deep voice said ... “hi there soon-to-be great-granddaddy.”


OMFG! It was my oldest grandson Alex Falletta aka Army Guy calling from way “over-there.” I couldn’t believe it, although I had known he had previously been able to call his wife Gina.


We had a great conversation even though my heart was racing during the entire time. When we ended the call I have to admit that I was momentarily overcome with emotion. Yes, technology is indeed awesome.


It was wonderful to hear his voice.


Thanks for calling Army Guy. Be safe!! Love ya.


You know, it’s difficult to sit down and write this blog posting when a loved-one is in harm’s way, but I had previously promised Army Guy that, to the extent possible, I would carry on with my life, so ... OK ... let’s do it ...


But ... dammit to Hell ... Mr. President and those bickering assholes in Congress ... our number one priority has to be to bring our troops home ... NOW!!


Today is also a solemn day for me for another reason. One year ago today I lost my dear friend, colleague and fraternity brother J. “Papa” Hall.


This is an excerpt from my September 15, 2010 posting ...


“I first met J. “Papa” Hall at the Kappa Alpha Order fraternity house at the University of Florida in Gainesville, FL, in September 1952. He was a Brother, a Senior and a campus icon. I was a skinny blonde pledge who was in complete awe over being in Papa’s presence. Over the ensuing years we became friends and professional colleagues - a friendship that spanned almost 6 decades”


My complete posting, with Papa’s obituary, is at ....


http://wanorrisjr.blogspot.com/2010/09/j-lewis-hall-jr-1931-2010.html


My thoughts and prayers go out to Papa’s family and friends and particularly to his devoted longtime companion Vivian Garfein.


OK ... OK ... Billi Pod will now get back on track with ...


PIGPEN PRESENTS: THE MOUNTAIN SONG was a very pleasant evening’s entertainment with a very talented cast of musicians/actors/puppeteers. It clocked in at just over an hour.


Meaning ... Billi Pod had plenty of time to walk part of the way back to PHC, fix a salad and settle in to watch the 10:10pm EST Yankees/Mariners game. The game finally ended around 1:30am when the Mariners won 2-1 in the bottom of the 12th inning on a walk-off homerun. Damn!!


The Yankees thereby missed a golden opportunity to go up 5 games on Boston since the FuckSox lost earlier to Toronto. Damn!!


We have the day off to travel to Toronto for a 3 game series with The Jays.

Billi Pod’s entertainment event for tonight is ...


8:00==>THE COMPLETE & CONDENSED STAGE DIRECTIONS OF EUGENE O'NEILL, VOLUME 1: EARLY PLAYS/LOST PLAYS - “O’Neills eloquent but often obsessive and often controlling stage directions are unleashed and transformed into rip-roaring physical comedy.”(Off Broadway - $9.00 TDF ticket)


Yeah, I know - it sounds weird doesn’t it? But, it has gotten very good reviews so I thought I would give it a shot.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-22

No comments: