Monday, September 5, 2011

Billi Pod Says==>Happy Labor Day Everyone!

Happy Labor Day to all of my Worker Bee friends!!


As I am writing this post in the early evening, the holiday is coming to a close and the streets are clogged with busses and cars coming into and going out of The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. My building is on a block that borders the feeder roads to and from The Lincoln Tunnel.


Billi Pod’s entertainment event for today was ... oh come on ... make a guess ... you know what it was ... right ... tada ...


1:05==>YANKEES/ORIOLES @ Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built, with Freddy Garcia on the mound.


As I previously posted, I knew that my seat for this game would be unprotected and, therefore, in the sun for most, if not all, of the game, so I took my heavy duty sunscreen with me.


Well, when I got off the subway at 161st Street in The Bronx it was gray and very overcast and as soon as I turned on my trusty Walkman I learned that the forecast was for rain showers later in the day. Damn, not a good start.


My seat was right in the middle of my section in the first row. I had never sat in the first row in the new stadium. It was a different but pleasant experience. It was indeed gray and overcast ... nasty looking.

Now the game ... well, my loyal and faithful readers ... in the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to share that on this Labor Day the pitchers for both teams, starters and relievers, labored mightily.


Our starter, Freddy Garcia, lasted only 2 2/3 innings and their starter lasted only 1 1/3 innings.


Relief pitching wasn’t much better. All-in-all 12 pitchers were used.


As you have guessed, in this game the long-ball prevailed. The Yankees hit 4 homers, including a grand slam by Robby Cano, and the Orioles hit 3 homers.


Oh ... the final score was 11-10 Yankees. The winning runs came as a result of 2 home runs from rookie Jesus Montero, who was just recently called up from triple-A. These were his first major league home runs and the stadium roared until he came out of the dugout, each time, for a rare encore.


Montero is our top prospect and he will probably fill the DH role for the remainder of the season.


In the top of the 9th Mo almost blew the save ... go figure ... but we held on to win by one run.


It was an exciting and very emotional game. And ... in the last two innings the sun came out ... how ‘bout that.


The FuckSox lost to Toronto, so we now lead the AL East by 2 1/2 games.


Tonight Billi Pod will stay in PHC and alternate between watching the ‘Canes/Maryland game and the Braves/Phillies game.


I also hope to finish my August 2011 stats draft, which I know you are all breathlessly awaiting.


So, to all of my Worker Bee friends==>have a safe trip home, go to bed early, and remember to set the alarm.


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-12

No comments: