Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Billi Pod’s Report From Across The Pond

Hi my loyal and faithful readers. It is 10:45pm, Tuesday evening, in Paris, France, and Billi Pod is soooooooo very happy to report that I am here, safe, sound, happy and very tired. Let me give you a quick (for moi) report.


The trip to JFK went fine. This time I used a car service rather than Super Shuttle. Arrived in plenty of time. Had no problems checking in and clearing security. When I got to the gate I was able to change my seat to an exit row aisle. Yeah!!


Just before the boarding process began a group of Hassidic Jews, who I later learned were returning to Paris following a worldwide conference in NYC, stood and began praying and stuff, about 25 in number. It really spooked some of the other passengers.


Anyway, the flight boarded on time and pushed back from the gate on time, and then ... tada ... we were stuck on the tarmac for almost an hour.


One of the Jewish group was seated next to me but we really didn’t get a chance to talk because he immediately went to sleep and didn’t wake up until we began our descent into Paris, 7 hours later.


The flight went fine and, of course, I was unable to sleep. I spent the time finishing my reading assignment and working crosswords. Actually, the time went by very fast.


We made up some of the lost time and actually touched down at CDG basically on schedule, however, there was a mechanical glitch at the gate and we were delayed almost 30 minutes getting off. It was 7:18am and it had begun to lightly rain.


I am happy to report that: my duffle bag arrived; I had no problems with passport control and security; was able to find the right train into Paris; got off at the proper station; found David’s building; buzzed myself in; and was in his apartment on The Seine at 9:10am. It was raining. Yes, I was tired. We had lots of catching up to do and we did.


At 11:00am we headed out to the outdoor market at Rue Buci for fruit and veggies. Then an aimless walk around St-Germain-des-Pres and the labyrinth of streets around St-Michel. It was raining.


When we got back to the apartment I have to confess, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, that Billi Pod napped for almost 2 hours, gasp!!


At 4:30p.m. we did a series of on-again off-again bus rides to Pigalle, Moulin Rouge and other spots for sinning (David’s words, not mine).


Then we went up Montmartre to Basilica Sacre Coure and our traditional first night view of Paris lights. It was raining


We bussed back to Centre Pompideau, walked through Les Halles and then caught a bus home. We were back at 8:00pm. It was raining.


David then prepared an excellent home-cooked meal.


Our plans tomorrow will probably include some art galleries and then we have an 8:00 performance of Mamma Mia.


OK, everyone is almost 11:30pm and I am very very tired, so ... talk with you later. Please excuse any errors, etc.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: