Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday - Billi Pod's Next 7 Days

When I posted my November 2009 activity summary yesterday I failed to note that on November 30th I had been in Penthouse C at 420 W. 42nd Street for 6 months. My how time does fly. I love this place. Thank God I was able to amend my original 1 year lease to 2 years. I have been working on a posting regarding my 6-month thoughts, observations and impressions regarding this apartment and my new ‘hood and will probably finish it in the next couple of days.


This posting will outline my entertainment schedule for the next week in The Big Apple - The Greatest City in The World. Here goes ...


Wednesday - 12/9 - 8:00 - “Effects of Suburbia On An Otherwise Normal Brain” - Off Broadway. “This comedy explores the traps of suburban life: where one not only struggles to summon the courage to express their emotions, but must also develop a vernacular to do so; where external obligations clash with free will; where the obligatory mask of superficial perfection creates isolation and threatens empathy. The comical, albeit honest exploration of suburban life also includes a musical group of “Up With People”-style singers.” ($9.00 TDF ticket).


This sounds like fun, doesn't it?


Thursday - 8:00 - St. Cecilia Orchestra & Chorus @ Carnegie Hall. The program is: "Mozart - “Great” Mass in C Minor and Hummel - Mass in B Flat." This is the press blurb about the program: "Mozart's Mass in C Minor,called the "Great" Mass, contains double choruses requiring great virtuosity on the part of the singers. The composer Hummel, somewhat forgotten today, was recognized in his own day as a rival of Beethoven's. The Mass in B Flat is deceptively simple, filled with subtle harmonies and beautiful melodies. The concert features a full orchestra." (discounted TDF ticket).


Thursday will mark the 3rd year since my colleague and dear friend Randy Bentley left us way way too soon. My best to Randy’s wife, Sue, and his family.


Friday - 8:00 - New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: "Mozart - Sinfonia concertante for Violin and Viola; Bruckner - Symphony No. 4.” (subscription series ticket exchange).


Saturday - 7:00 - “The Flaming Idiots” - Off Broadway. This is the press blurb for this show: “The wise-cracking, whip-snapping Flaming Idiots are back with an outrageous onslaught of crackerjack juggling and zany shenanigans. This time, the buffoonery blazes throughout the yuletide season in Chestnuts Roasting on the Flaming Idiots as Gyro, Pyro and Walter bounce between awesome antics and gross-out goofs, tossing machetes and lit torches and creating deli delights with their toes." (discounted TDF ticket).


I have seen this group at least 3 times and each time was one of the funniest shows of the year for me. If you like funny frat-boy gross-out humor with extreme athleticism then this is the show for you. I can’t wait.


Sunday - 12/13 - 3:00 - “Holiday Brass” @ Avery Fisher Hall. This will be the Philharmonic’s Principal Brass Quintet performing with the West Point Band Brass and Percussion sections. (full price ticket).


Let me comment about this show. As many of you longtime readers know, The Canadian Brass performing with the New York Philharmonic Brass has been a Christmas-time favorite of mine for years. In the past it has gotten me into the yule-tide spirit so I eagerly look forward to each holiday performance of the two groups. The concert always sells out. It was only after I got my ticket to this performance, about 6 weeks ago, that I noticed that The Canadian Brass wasn’t performing. Damn - I wondered what the problem was but there was nothing I could do since I already had my ticket. I assumed there was some sort of scheduling conflict on the part of The Canadian Brass.


Well, two weeks ago when I was at Town Hall for a program I happened to peruse their upcoming show schedule and guess what? At 3:00pm on Sunday, December 13th, The Canadian Brass is performing at Town Hall. Yes, that’s right - the exact same date and time. I couldn’t f**king believe it - the exact same date and time - what the F?.


Obviously there was a problem between The Canadian Brass and/or Avery Fisher Hall and/or The New York Philharmonic. I discussed the “situation” with several of my fellow concert-goers and no one had an answer and everyone, and I mean everyone, was majorly disappointed. Oh, well .... life goes on.


Monday - open at the moment. (gasp).


Tuesday - 12/15 - 7:30 - New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: “Handel - “Messiah.” Performing with the orchestra and soloists is the Gachinger Kantorei Stuttgart Chorus. (subscription series).


Seeing the “Messiah” at least once is also a part of Billi Pod’s holiday tradition.


And speaking of the “Messiah” - my daughter Kathi Bendeck of Columbia, SC, will be singing in two “Messiah” concerts, December 13th and 21st, with The Columbia Choral Society and The South Carolina Philharmonic Orchestra. “Wish I could be there Kathi - I am sooooooo proud of you. Hallelujah!”


On this happy note I will close this out.


Go Gators!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: