Wednesday, December 2, 2009

New York Philharmonic Concert - A New York Moment

Itzhak Perlman was afflicted with polio at age 4. Tonight, 60 years later, the world renowned violin virtuoso performed with The New York Philharmonic Orchestra in a concert called “A Concert To End Polio,” and it was as awesome as I expected it to be.


But, that is not the reason for this posting. I just got in from the concert and I want to share with you, my loyal and faithful readers, a very moving experience I had at the concert, an experience that can only be classified as a “New York Moment.”


This concert was not a part of my season subscription series but my seat was excellent, in the rear orchestra, row HH, seat 17, which is house left. Seated to my immediate left was a man in his 40s and seated to his left was a really nice looking young boy with blond hair, obviously his son. The man and I struck up a conversation and I asked him how old his son was and he told he was 12. I then told him how much I admired him for bringing his son to this concert, on a school night.


His response was: “Oh no, you got it all wrong. I didn’t bring him, he brought me. The kid is a very talented violinist.” He then went on to tell me that the kid was the Concert Master (Principal Violinist) for his school’s orchestra, took private lessons and had just received a full scholarship at a prestigious private school (the name went into and right out of my head). Wow. I don’t think the kid heard any of this conversation because his nose was buried in the program notes.


Just before the concert started the two changed seats so that the kid could have a better view of the stage.


When the NY Phil Concert Master came out I leaned over to the kid and said: “That could be you someday.” The kid got a puzzled look on his face and turned to his dad, who told him something. The kid then turned back to me and said: “Thank you, that’s so cool.” Damn, I got a lump in my throat.


Itzhak Perlman came on stage to a roaring standing ovation. He is on crutches and it is obviously difficult for him to move around, but he does it totally without assistance, including getting up on a riser, where he sits in a chair during his performance.


Perlman performed 3 numbers: Bruch - Violin Concerto No. 1; Williams - Theme from Schindler’s List (he performed the violin solo’s in the movie); and, Kreisler - Tambourin chinois.


The kid was absolutely transfixed. I don’t think he blinked or moved an inch. He didn’t even appear to be breathing. I am not being overly dramatic, just reporting what I observed.


When the final number was over the audience leapt to its feet and the place shook with thunderous applause. We had hoped for an encore but it wasn’t to be.


As the kid was getting ready to leave I said to him: “Young man - follow your dreams.” It was then that I noticed that he had tears in his eyes. His dad pointed at me and simply said: “Thank you.”


This is what I wanted to share with you.


Bill

No comments: