Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hmmmm - Christmas, another look








You know, maybe all of this feel-good hype about Christmas needs to be re-examined. And that is a task Billi Pod has undertaken in my responsibility for fair and unbiased reporting to benefit you, my loyal and faithful readers out there in the hinterlands of cyberspace.


Now I do not claim authorship of the following material. I found it during the internet research I do daily for you. I shamelessly copied it in order to give you something to think about. Here goes:

********************

“I was recently struck by the inherently depressing messages of TV Christmas classics:


A mentally disturbed child suffers peer rejection, then kills a plant. (A Charlie Brown Christmas)


A community mocks and shuns a deformed youngster until they learn that they can exploit his freakish physical difference for profit. (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)


It's okay to steal a hat if it belongs to somebody you don't like. (Frosty the Snowman)


A burglar avoids prosecution and is instead feted by his gullible victims. (The Grinch That Stole Christmas)


Hmmmn ... maybe the problem is that we need to go back a bit farther. How 'bout some good, old-fashioned Christmas movies from the good ol' days?


Fiscal irresponsibility and banking irregularities are okay if you seem like a nice guy. (It's a Wonderful Life)


A single mother learns that it's okay to lie to your child as long as the lie is backed by powerful corporate interests and corrupt politicians. (A Miracle on 34th Street)


Uh-oh. Well, so much for the 20th Century. What does 19th Century literature have to say on the subject?


Miser grows wealthy by exploiting workers, but buys his way out of eternal damnation with a pittance in indulgences. (A Christmas Carol)

******************************

Kinda interesting isn’t it? There is no need to flood me with endless thank-you emails. I was only fulfilling my responsibility for fair and unbiased reporting for you, my loyal and faithful readers.

Remember - I report - you decide.


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: