Monday, October 19, 2009

Memphis - Break A Leg Tonight

Tonight at the Shubert Theatre it is opening night for “Memphis,” the first Broadway musical to open for the new season. This is the synopsis:


“From the underground dance clubs of 1950s Memphis, Tennessee, comes a new Broadway musical that focuses on two young collaborators: a black female singer whose career is on the rise but who can't break out of segregated clubs and a white radio DJ whose love of music transcends race lines and airwaves. When the two work together, her soulful music reaches radio audiences everywhere, and the Golden Era of early rock 'n' roll takes flight. But as things start to heat up, whether the world is really ready for their music - or their love - is put to the test.”


One of the Producers of the show is Randy Adams and his company Junkyard Dog Productions (don’t you just love that name?). I met Randy back in September through my friend Sarah Koeppe.


I saw this show in early previews on October 4th and loved it and I thought I had posted my thoughts about it, but for some reason I hadn’t. My bad. This is a fun show and is well worth the time and money. I recommend it highly


Also, the advance “buzz” for the show has been very favorable and is probably best summarized in a pre-opening review posted on “All That Chat” www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1784518.


So guys - live long and prosper.


Go Yankees and Go Gators!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: