Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuesday - Reporting from The Big Apple

It is cold in the Big Apple and I guess I can say that Winter has actually arrived. I think the combination of getting older and my blood-thinner meds have made me much more sensitive to the cold. Please understand, however, I am not complaining or whining because I am in New York City this time of year by choice. I could literally be anyplace in the World I want to be and I have chosen to be in The Greatest City in the World. I mean, why be warm and bored? Right? Yes, I thought you, my faithful and loyal readers, would understand.

Now on to other things - I am still basking in the glory of the Gator’s crushing those little cocks from South Carolina. There is no question about it - the Gators control their own destiny - win out and we play in the BCS Championship Game. To my amazement the local sportswriters in all three of the daily papers have become enamored with the Gators, with the writer for The Daily News ranking them as his number one team.

The basketball team is also off to a good start, winning Friday over Toledo by a score of 80-58 and then over Bradley (wherever in hell that is) on Sunday by a score of 81-58. The Bradley game was carried locally, which is a rarity.

After the game on Saturday I went to an 8:30 show, The Sandbox and The First Time, at the theater on 59th Street. The small theater was full. Both shows, which I have previously described, were funny and very well acted.

On the way back to the apartment I stopped at my favorite pizza place, Ray Bari’s @ 56th and 3rd, and got several slices and some wings. That took care of my “dinner” for the next 3 nights.

Last night was an excellent concert at Town Hall called “Broadway Unplugged,” which I have described in a previous posting. My discounted TDF ticket was great, in the orchestra, house left, 11 rows from the stage. The house for the 3 level theater was full, and it being a Monday night when most of the Broadway shows are dark, the audience was full of theater-type folks. All of the performers sung without microphones.

I have previously described the Off-Broadway show that I am seeing tonight, Dust, starring Richard Masur and Hunter Foster. Luckily it is only a block away from the 43rd Street subway exit, so I won't freeze.

Now, the big news - I scored a super excellent seat for tomorrow’s performance of “Billy Elliot,” which just opened to mostly rave reviews. The press blurb: “Based on the film about a working-class British boy with dreams that run contrary to family expectations, the London smash-hit musical arrives on Broadway. Set in the North East against the backdrop of the 1984 miners' strike, Billy Elliot is a funny, heart-warming and feel-good celebration of one young boy's dream to become a ballet dancer and triumph over adversity.”

I love this show. I first saw it in London in 2005 just weeks after it opened to rave reviews. It went on to win all kinds of awards, including Best New Musical. I saw it again in London in 2006. Last Thursday I went to the box office and was amazed that I was able to get a super-excellent seat in the front mezzanine.

As some of you may know, the role of Billy is alternated between 3 young (13 year old) dancer/singers. I predict that it will have a long long life on Broadway.

When I left the Billy Elliot box office I then went on a Broadway rampage and got excellent discounted tickets to see the revival of “All My Sons” for the November 26th matinee and “Shrek - the Musical,” for December 11th. More about them later.

Thursday night is The New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 6: Penderecki’s Cello Concerto No. 2; and, Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5. (subscription series)

For Friday evening I was able to score a free (complimentary) ticket to a Great Performers concert at Avery Fisher Hall by The Dresden Staaskapelle, which was founded in 1548. The program will be: Brahms’ Symphony No. 4; and, Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 1. Awesome.

At the moment Saturday and Sunday are open. I do know that the Gator/Citadel game is not being carried locally.

Huge question locally about whether Hillary should become Secretary of State, assuming the position is offered to her. Frankly, I would hate to lose her presence in the Senate. She has done a good job for the State of New York. I do, however, think she will accept the appointment, despite Bill’s baggage, and will be confirmed.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: