Wednesday, November 5, 2008

NOVEMBER 4 2008 - AMERICA WINS!!


I was born in the deep south 74+ years ago and attended segregated schools. Fortunately the most influential person in my life, my mother, Ruby, was a progressive liberal in the truest sense of the word and as a result, I always thought of myself as being “color-blind” on the racial issue.

In my wildest dreams, however, I never imagined that a black man would be elected President of the United States of America, in my lifetime - no way could it happen.

At 11:00pm EST on Tuesday, November 4 2008, when all of the media declared that the President-elect was Barack Obama, I felt a wave of emotion I hadn’t expected and these emotions built until they reached a crescendo at midnight when the President-elect, his wife, and their two children, took the stage at Grant Park in Chicago. I was witnessing history in the making. I thought his remarks were right on, setting the proper tone for his upcoming administration.

A short time before, Sen. John McCain showed that he is indeed a classy man of character and integrity. I predict that Obama will reach out to McCain and ultimately he will become part of the Team for Change. Just remember where you heard it first.

I know that in the heavenly upstairs two of my dearest friends, Bill Mullon and Marvin Mounts, are smiling with Ruby.

The people have spoken. It is now time to begin the process of changing campaign rhetoric into action.

Mr. President-elect - the ball is now in your court.

Oh, I think I did a pretty good job in my predictions, especially calling the results in the swing states.

Billi Pod, a Proud American
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: