Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Billy Elliot" Is Terrific


I am very happy to report that, in my humble opinion, “Billy Elliot” successfully made the transition from London’s West End to the bright lights of Broadway’s Great White Way, and, based on the response from the sold-out show last night, this opinion was shared by the enthusiastic and diverse audience.

One of the concerns I read about in advance of the transfer was whether an American audience would understand the depth of the labor movement’s animosity toward Margaret Thatcher and her role in the privatization of the coal industry. I thought it was very clear from the outset and was handled in a straight-forward manner. It wasn’t a problem.

There was also concern over the heavy accents and profanity but both are integral to the story and even the profanity spewed out by the children feels real and in character for the times and situations.

The young teen playing Billy was Kiril Kulish and he did an excellent job and it is certainly understandable why it is necessary to rotate the 8 weekly performances between the 3 boys.

The only thing that really struck me about this staging verses the 2 that I saw in London, was the depth of the anger and frustration between Billy’s father and Billy’s older brother. In this staging they get physical and I don’t remember that in the London productions.

Frankly, the only quibble I have about the show itself, Broadway and London, is the appearance of the Ghost of Billy’s mother. It added nothing to the story, in my opinion, and was overly and needlessly dramatic. But, this is a minor quibble.

So, bottom line - I restate my prediction that “Billy Elliot” will have a long-life on Broadway and I highly highly recommend that you add it to your “Must See” list.

Speaking of Broadway - two of my favorite shows, “Spamalot” and “Spring Awakening” are ending their Broadway runs in January 2009. I just had to see them one last time, so I have discounted TDF tickets for the Sunday, November 23rd, performance of “Spamalot” and “Spring Awakening” for Wednesday, December 10th.

In reviewing my recent postings I noticed that I failed to mention that I saw the movie “Role Models” on Sunday afternoon, November 16th, and that I loved it. The show stars Paul Rudd and Seann (yes it has 2 n’s) William Scott as two frat-pack guys with dead-end jobs who get into trouble with the law and can only avoid jail by agreeing to participate in a Big Brother program for troubled kids. As might be expected they are paired with two kids who have a world of problems. One of the kids is played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse who played McLovin in the 2007 hit movie “Superbad” and his performance alone makes “Role Models” worth seeing.

Meaning, if you like gross-out jokes, cussing and frat-boy humor then this is the show for you. If not, stay the hell away.

In closing - in a posting last week I discussed an Off-Broadway show, “Garden of Earthly Delights,” and mentioned that my jury was still out regarding it. Well, the jury has returned its verdict and it is overwhelmingly favorable in all of the reviews I have read. Let me quote The New York Times ....”this singular work of dance theater is without a doubt one of the most eerily hypnotic spectacles of flesh in motion ever put on a New York stage.”

Oh, an interesting bit of political gossip is going around. What, you breathlessly ask? Well, here it is: Obama appoints Hillary as Secretary of State and then Governor Patterson appoints Bill to replace her in the Senate. Hey, I like it. So, if it happens please remember where you heard it first.

Hey, I report - you decide.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: