Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday - A Man for All Seasons (and more)

I am writing this on Thursday afternoon and it is nasty out - chilly, windy and rainy. Thankfully the apartment is nice and warm and cozy. Hopefully things will clear up before I head out this evening.

On Tuesday evening I saw the revival of “A Man for All Seasons” starring Frank Langella in the role of Sir Thomas More. This was part of my season subscription to The Roundabout Theater Company so my seat was excellent. I was a bit apprehensive about the show for several reasons: (1) I have seen the show numerous times, on Broadway and in regional and community theater productions; (2) it is kinda long at 2:45, with an intermission; and (3) this production has received basically luke-warm reviews.

Well, all of my apprehensions were for naught (damn, I wonder where that stilted phrase came from?) because I found the show to be riveting and Langella’s performance Tony-worthy. Yes, it is long but it is great theater, in my humble opinion, and I am so glad that I had a chance to see it.

Last night, Wednesday, was an excellent concert by the New York Philharmonic, concluding with Stravinsky’s "The Firebird Suite." I did have a problem during the concert, however. I became highly annoyed with the older couple seated in front of me. Why you ask? Well, she kept dozing off, laying her head on her husband’s shoulder and then suddenly jerking back upright when she woke up. She did this about every 2 minutes. He was dozing off too. I prayed they would leave at intermission but they didn’t and the cycle repeated itself during the entire concert. What was I to do? I just didn’t feel comfortable saying anything to them, so ... I mentally repeated the Serenity Prayer several times and focused on the orchestra.

This is my entertainment schedule for the next 6 days --

Thursday - 7:00 - “The Middle Ages” - Off Broadway. “A. R. Gurney’s play focuses on the family. Set in one room - the trophy room of a men's club - from just after World War II through the late 1970's, the play illustrates the conflict between long-standing traditions and the pressure for change. Son Barney needs to break free, but his father Charles, the president of the men's club, locks him in the trophy room when he misbehaves. On one such occasion, he meets the shy Eleanor, falls in love, and spends the next 30 years trying to win her over. Meanwhile, her mother, a social climber hungry for stability, strives to break into this rapidly failing world.” (complimentary ticket)

Friday - 8:00 - The New York Philharmonic Orchestra in concert at Carnegie Hall. This is the Carnegie Hall press blurb: “Bernstein - The Best of All Possible Worlds Festival. Arguably the most symbolic concert of the entire Bernstein series, tonight’s event marks the 65th anniversary of Bernstein’s first podium appearance with the New York Philharmonic in the hall where it happened. This all-Bernstein program includes selections from ‘West Side Story’ and ‘On the Waterfront.’” (full price expensive ticket).

How could I pass this up? I couldn’t for many reasons - I love the NY Phil, of course, and they sound soooooooooo much better in Carnegie Hall, and, West Side Story is my all-time favorite musical, for reasons I will detail later. My seat is in the orchestra, row K, in the middle - super excellent.

And, speaking of the New York Philharmonic - as I have posted numerous times I am a 3 series subscriber and a modest donor, and have been so for a number of years. Somehow this combination has earned me “membership” in the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York, which I believe is the orchestra’s governing board. I got a notice of the annual meeting on the afternoon of Thursday, December 3. It asked whether I would attend the annual meeting, and if not, granting my proxy to someone.

Hey, thought I - this sounds interesting and another first for moi, so I returned the card stating that I would be attending the meeting. If it gets too boring I will just leave. I am sure they will have nice snacks and stuff too. Will report about it.

Saturday - 3:30 - Gators vs. South Carolina on CBS. Hopefully the Gator coaching staff will not let SteveS get into their heads and we will continue our journey to the BCS Championship game.

8:30 - “The Sandbox and The First Time” - Off Broadway. “These two one act comedies are presented as part of the Made in Poland Festival. The Sandbox is about a couple's inability to articulate emotions, except through the language of globally mass-marketed brand names and advertising. While sitting in a sandbox, Him and Her try to figure out how to love each other despite their linguistic challenges. In The First Time, He and She try to have a sexual relationship, but are thwarted at each step by the weather, family, hunger, and the punctured illusions of a post-communist society.” (complimentary ticket).

This is being presented at the 59E59 Theater, one of my favorite venues. It is only 8 blocks from the apartment.

Sunday - open at the moment. Will probably see the just opened movie “Role Models.”

Monday - 8:00 - “Broadway Unplugged” @ Town Hall. This is an annual concert involving at least 20 current Broadway performers who will sing without the usual sound enhancements. I have attended several of these in the past and they have all been very good. (discounted TDF ticket).

Tuesday - 8:00 - “Dust” - Off Broadway. “Martin is an executive with money and a paunch. Zeke is an ex-con with street smarts and a minimum wage position. Early one morning, in the fitness center of the Essex House, the battle of will begins over the most trivial of requests. And when Martin's daughter Jenny becomes entangled in the situation, the stakes are raised even higher escalating a war for respect into one for revenge and survival. Who will be standing when the dust settles? Starring Emmy Award nominee Richard Masur and Tony Award nominee Hunter Foster, Dust is a new thriller in the old tradition it will keep you on the edge of your seat until the final curtain!” (discounted TDF ticket)

Oh, is anyone else sick and tired of seeing Sarah “wink-wink” Palin in every known news media in her pathetic attempt to put a positive spin on the disaster known as the McCain/Palin ticket? Lady, you lost and you were a major reason why your team tanked, so get the fuck over it. YOU LOST!!!!

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: