Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wednesday Night - Back From the New York Philharmonic Opening Night Concert


It is difficult for me to adequately express in writing how I feel right now as I have gotten back to the apartment after being in the audience for the Opening Night Concert by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. It was awesome.

The audience was filled with tuxes and gowns and bling-bling because there was a patrons only cocktail party before the concert began. It didn’t include moi. I was, however, properly dressed in a suit and tie, black, of course. The concert was televised live on PBS.

My seat was in the general area of my seats for my series subscriptions, although the Opening Night is not included in the subscription package. I am in the rear orchestra, house left, where I have been for the past 5 years.

Midway into the opening number, Hector Berlioz’s Roman Carnival Overture, I was almost overcome with emotion as I thought about how fortunate I was to be in this particular moment in time, in this historic venue in the Greatest City in the World. I had tears in my eyes, no joke. I silently thanked my Higher Power, whom I choose to call God, for continuing to give me the opportunities to live out the dreams of a lifetime. Kinda dramatic, I know, but it is actually how I felt and I just wanted to share it with you.

The second number was Jacques Ibert’s Concerto for Flute and Orchestra featuring Sir James Galway. It was beautiful. After intermission was Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 in F minor and it was breathtaking. When it ended the audience gave the orchestra a thunderous standing ovation, including multiple curtain calls for the conductor Lorin Maazel.

As I walked out of Avery Fisher Hall it was 9:30 and the weather was cool but nice, so I knew that I just had to walk leisurely back to the apartment, a distance of about 2.0 miles. As I walked I also listened to the end of the Yankees/White Sox game, which the Yankees won 5-1. I say walking, but it felt as if I was floating. it really did. As I write this I still have a smile on my face.

Now, more about the 2008/09 New York Philharmonic season for me. I have subscribed to 3 series of 7 concerts each, beginning on September 23rd and ending on June 24th. As a perk for being a subscriber I am given vouchers for free tickets to 3 additional concerts, which I haven’t selected yet. In addition to tonight’s Opening Night concert, I have also purchased tickets to 2 additional special concerts: Mahler’s Symphony No. 2. Resurrection, on December 8th; and, The New Year’s Eve Concert on December 31st. And, in keeping with my long-standing holiday tradition I will purchase a ticket to the New York Philharmonic Principal Brass with the Canadian Brass Holiday Concert on December 14th.

I have lots of other stuff to write about, including an upcoming trip, but I will wait until tomorrow, so ...

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: