Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday - Good Day from the Big Apple

Man, it is a nightmare on the streets in and around my Eastside ‘hood due to all of the activities at the United Nations. The whole area is in a lock-down mode and police are everywhere, directing one long convoy after another of black cars with flashing lights and black tinted windows. Everyone in uniform looks grim, mean and unhappy.

I ask you - all of this to what avail? I mean, seriously, what does the United Nations accomplish? It very much reminds me of the lyrics from the song that John Adams sings about the Continental Congress in the musical “1776:”

“You see, we piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Not one damn thing do we solve
Piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Nothing's ever solved....”

OK, on to other more important things, like what has happened, and is happening, in my life --

Last night the Yankees were officially eliminated from the post season even though they won their game against Toronto. They have 2 more games up there and then the final 3 games against The Fucksox at Fenway Park. Regardless of the outcome of those games it will be a bitter pill to swallow, to say the least. It is so anti-climatic and disheartening to have the Yankee season over before the season is officially over. I hate it. Fuck!!

Monday night I saw the newest version of Forbidden Broadway called “Forbidden Broadway Goes To Rehab” - “The latest edition of New York's favorite musical comedy pokes fun at South Pacific, In The Heights, August: Osage County, Gypsy, Young Frankenstein - and more - all in one evening! Featuring costumes by legendary designer Alvin Colt, hilarious spoofs of Broadway's best songs, and madcap impressions by a stellar cast, Forbidden Broadway is more uproarious than ever before!” (discounted TDF ticket).

It was very funny as usual and the audience was really into it. Several members of the cast of “13” where in attendance and after the show I got an opportunity to talk with them briefly and told them how much I had enjoyed their show. They seemed to appreciate my comments and I could almost read their minds ....”Wow, this guy is at least 107 years old and he liked our show - maybe we do have a chance to make it on B’way after all.”

Bad news - after 27 years Off-Broadway "Forbidden Broadway" will close on January 15, 2009. I understand, unofficially of course, that the creative force behind the show, Gerard Alessandrini, is just burned-out. I hope he changes his mind.

Speaking of closings - [tos] just couldn't find an audience and is closing soon. Too bad for us tossers. It was a lot of fun. Rumors are that it might move back to Off-Broadway. We will see.

Last night was the first of my series subscription New York Philharmonic concerts. The program was: The U,S, premiere of Steven Stucky’s Rhapsodies for Orchestra (commissioned by the NY Philharmonic); Rachmanioff’s Piano Concerto No. 3, performed by Yefim Bronfman; after intermission - Ravel’s Suite from Mother Goose; and, Bartok’s Suite from The Miraculous Mandarin.

I hated the new work, which was another atonal dissonant piece of drek, loved the Rachomanioff, tolerated the Ravel, and hated the Bartok, which was another atonal piece of crap. The audience in my area wasn’t too happy overall with the concert and were pretty vocal about it afterwards.

Tonight, Wednesday, I am going down to Union Square to see a new work called “Break Out” - “Direct from London and Seoul comes BREAK OUT, an electrifying, new show from SevenSense, Inc. and the producers of JUMP! Hip-hop and break-dance meet cops-and-robbers comedy in this jaw-dropping, action-packed adventure, featuring a B-Boy crew that's simply dazzling. Featuring a cast of nuns, nurses and break-dancing villains in the craziest jail break of all time, Break Out is a fun-packed, madcap night out featuring top quality performers, including some of Korea's internationally award-winning B-Boys.” I have a complimentary ticket. It sounds like fun, doesn’t it? There is a lot of favorable buzz about the show.

Thursday night I am seeing a new Broadway show in previews called “To Be Or Not To Be” - “ This new Broadway comedy is based on the 1942 motion picture of the same name. David Rasche (Moonlight and Magnolias) and Jan Maxwell (Coram Boy, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) portray Joseph and Maria Tura as they are about to open yet another smash with their theatrical troupe in the Polski Theatre in 1939 Warsaw. As the German invasion gets underway, the theatre is closed by the censors, forcing the troupe to face desperate times. But when a handsome young bomber pilot enlists their help to catch a spy, what is a group of actors to do? This black comedy is an ingenious commentary on the World War II era and a tribute to the timeless joys of the theatre.” (discounted TDF ticket).

At the moment Friday, Saturday and Sunday remain open, but you know what? I think I will be able to find something interesting to do in The Big Apple. One thing for certain - high on my agenda are two movies, “Burn After Reading” and “Ghost Town.”

Oh, I can’t find my old Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball cap so I will buy a new Tampa Bay Rays cap at Modell’s ... I mean, any team other than the Fucksox, right?

Go Gators and Go Tampa Bay!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its funny how I keep hearing Hootie and the Blowfish, "Fair Weather Johnson", over and over again in my head. Maybe, its just the old POKE County roots surging through your veins...