Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday - An Interesting Upcoming Week

Yep, the first week of September is going to be awesome. On Tuesday my daughter Kathi Bendeck and her husband, Dr. John, from Columbia, SC, will arrive in the Big Apple and they will be staying at the Doubletree Hotel at 51st and Lexington, just 2 blocks from my apartment. They will be here until Monday the 8th.

As of this moment they have tickets for: “Young Frankenstein” (Broadway) for Wednesday matinee; “Enter Laughing” (Off-Broadway) for Thursday evening; and, “Jersey Boys” (Broadway) for Friday night. They intend to fill in the rest of their schedule once they get here and get settled in. We will get together on Tuesday evening for a “Welcome to The Big Apple” dinner. Both of them have been to The City before but they still have several tourist sites on their “to-visit” list. I have promised them that I will not hover over them (too much). Yeah, right ...

So, this is what my week looks like, factoring in Kathi & John --

Tuesday - meet up with K&J for dinner

Wednesday - 2:00 “Gypsy” with Patti Lupone - Broadway. I saw this in late previews and loved it so when it showed up on TDF I had to see it again. (discounted TDF ticket)

8:00 - “Spring Awakening” - Broadway. I love this show, having seen it when it was Off-Broadway and then during its Broadway previews with a stage seat, and then once it had opened with an orchestra seat. It has a new cast so I just had to see it again. (discounted TDF ticket)

Thursday - 8:00 “Enter Laughing” with K&J. This Off-Broadway show is playing at the York Theater, just 2 blocks from J&K’s hotel. I am a Patron of the York Theater Company. The show is a musical based on the book written by Carl Reiner about a Bronx teen-age boy who is trying to break into show business, much to the chagrin of his parents.They want him to become a pharmacist. I saw this earlier this year as a staged-reading and loved it. (discounted TDF ticket)

Friday - 8:00 “Beast” - Off-Broadway. “Two Iraqi War veterans - badly mutilated but as fiercely patriotic as ever - make their way home from a military hospital in Germany. Their marauding adventure across America takes them to Crawford, Texas, where they meet up with their Commander-in-Chief and offer a surefire solution to all his problems.” This is billed as a comedy, believe it or not. (discounted TDF ticket)

Saturday - 8:00 “A Tale of Two Cities” - Broadway. “A musical adaptation of the classic Dickens novel, set during the French Revolution” In previews. (discounted TDF ticket).

Sunday - open at the moment

Monday - 8:00 “Equus.” - Broadway. This show is in previews following an acclaimed run in London. It stars Daniel Radcliff of “Harry Potter” fame and Tony winner Richard Griffiths (“History Boys”). The story line is about a troubled young man who blinds six horses with a hoof pick. It features about 10 minutes of Radcliff in full-frontal nudity. I saw it and him 2 years ago in London and, of course, just had to see it and him again. (full price ticket).

So, I think you will agree with me - this is going to be a very good week in The Big Apple.

Saturday night I saw the just released movie “College” about 3 high school seniors who make a trip to a college to check out the party scene. They are “captured and used” by a fraternity that makes the guys in “Animal House’ look like choirboys. It is the very definition of a gross-out movie. TimeOut Magazine says: “See this and you will never take the SATs.” I agree.

My right eye is feeling and looking OK and I see my eye Dr. on Tuesday morning for a followup appointment.

I have lots of stuff to say about the woeful Yankees and my entertainment stats for the month of August, but will save all of that for a later posting.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

Just to let you know, I will hold you responsible if anything happens to my Mother and Stepfather this week. You ought to just install a GPS receiver on the both of them. Its a good thing they have no enemies. Your Loving Grandson, Chris