Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sunday - The Final Game At The House That Ruth Built


The weather for the last game to be played at The House That Ruth Built was great, in the 70s as game time approached. I took the precaution of putting on a light black sweater under my timeworn NY Yankee game shirt that I have been wearing to each game since 1999. Yes 1999, and it will be retired just as will the stadium.

I left the apartment at 5:30 and was at Yankee Stadium at 6:15. The ceremony was to begin around 7:00. I had my iPhone and a disposable 27-shot camera. I began walking around the stadium taking pictures and it was my intention to walk all the way around the stadium for the last time but when I got about 1/2 way around I came up to a police barricade and was informed that this was as far as I could go. When I asked why the cop just shrugged and said he didn’t know. So ...

I decided to go into the stadium. Security was somewhat tighter than usual. I was in my seat, Loge Section 530, row E, seat 5, at 6:45. The stadium was full already. Seated to my left was a late 30s couple who had their 8 week old son with them and enough camera equipment to have shot an independent film. The guy said that he could hardly wait until his son is old enough to understand that he was at the final game in The House That Ruth Built. Pretty awesome.

The ceremony started just a bit before 7:00 with the US Army Band playing the National Anthem. Several people around me commented afterwards that they thought it should have been the recording of the rendition sung by Robert Merrill and I think I kinda agree.

Anyway, the ceremony consisted of introductions of living Yankee legends and the family of those legends no longer with us. Babe Ruth’s daughter threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Interestingly, the person who received the loudest and longest ovation was Bernie Williams, who was making his first visit back to the stadium in two years. Second was Yogi Berra. The whole thing was very emotional, of course.

When the field was cleared there was a special presentation to Derek Jeter in recognition of his historic milestone in surpassing Lou Gehrig’s record for most hits in the stadium.

Then it was time for the game to begin with the first pitch at 8:35. Once the game got started the stadium got eerily quiet as if all of the emotion of the fans had been drained by the ceremonies. I know I felt that way for awhile. As the game went on the enthusiasm returned and the crowd got really into what was happening on the field. Literally every play was the subject of almost blinding flashes.

I won’t bore you with the details of the game. If you are a baseball fan you know them, if not, you could care less. Suffice to say that the Yankees won 7-3. It was fitting that the last Yankee at-bat was by the Captain Derek Jeter. In the bottom of the 9th future Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera came in to a stadium shaking roaring ovation. He got the final three outs and it was over. It was 11:47pm

As soon as the final out was recorded the police raced on the field. There was one streaker but he got only about 10 yards before he was swarmed by law enforcement. The players came back on the field and Jeter thanked the fans for their support and then the team, as a group, walked all the way around the stadium and back to the dugout. Again very emotional.

I left the stadium, boarded a packed subway at midnight and was back at the apartment at 12:45. It had been a long day and one I will never ever forget.

The first thing that I did was officially retire my worn and tattered NY Yankee game shirt as shown in the following photograph -


Go Yankees and Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: