Sunday, June 8, 2014

Great Walk and Wander Day/CARNIVAL KIDS/The Wankies


Sunday==>Yesterday your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, succumbed to the calls from the azure blue skies and had a terrific walk and wander day, mostly in the Upper Westside.

Yes, I subwayed up to 72nd Street and then spent about 90 minutes just casually walking back and forth on the streets from Central Park West to Riverside Park, always on the side of the street that was in the shade.

As many of you loyal and faithful readers and followers know this is one of my favorite walk and wander areas in the City. There is just something about the seemingly endless array of beautiful brownstones that brings me back to this area. I never tire of it and I always see something new and for the first time.

After I recorded 4-miles on my trusty WeightWatchers Pedometer (reminder==>no, I have never been in The WeightWatchers program nor do I need to be) I headed back to the apartment, showered, had the usual pre-theater snack, fruit and cheese plate, and then it was time for my entertainment event ...

CARNIVAL KIDS, when an aimless former rock star loses his job and finds himself broke with nowhere to go, he's forced to move in with his adopted son and roommate in their cramped New York City apartment. As the two of them try to forge new lives together, a get-rich-quick scheme further complicates their lives and loves==>B+

The show starts off with a lot of laughs, mostly over the awkwardness of the situation that reunites the down-and-out father with his up-and-coming nerdy son. As the play progresses, however, the mood becomes increasingly somber and by the final scene(s) it has evolved into a thought-provoking and totally involving drama.

The cast is outstanding, headed by Randall Newsome as Dale, the father, and Jake Choi as Mark, the son, who is adopted and who may be, in his own words, "asexual."

The house was almost full and the audience was very much into the show, giving the performers a roaring round of applause at curtain call.

Billi Pod says==>This is very much worth seeing.

This comedy/drama just opened, is playing at the TBG Theatre on West 36th Street, has a running time of 1:35, without intermission, and runs through June 28th.

A major plus for the show was that the timing kept me from listening to the YANKEES/ROYALS game ... yes ...

The Yankees (31-30) lost 8-4 to The Royals (30-32) as David Phelps had yet another lackluster outing. For The Yankees the loss was our 6th in 9-games.

This afternoon at 2:10pm, from Kansas City, will be game 3 of the 4-game series. On the mound for The Yankees will be Hiroki Kuroda (4-3), who continues to be victimized by a lack of run-support vs. James Shields (6-3).

Yes, I will be in front of the TV watching the game. If it gets too blah I will do a walk and wander session in my immediate 'hood. If not ... then ... 

I will remain in front of the TV basically for the remainder of the day/evening because I will watch The 68th Annual Tony Awards, at 8:00pm on CBS, hosted by Hugh Jackman.

As usual, I will hit the mute button once the acceptance speeches begin.

Moving on ... 

As posted yesterday, my gut feeling about California Chrome and The Belmont Stakes was correct, although I didn’t correctly predict the ultimate winner. Oh well ...

So ... let’s close this out with ...

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>6.11 miles (or, 13,367 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>594.79 miles (average 3.76 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: