Wednesday, June 11, 2014

AWESOME Time With John Scott Reed


Wednesday==>Well, yesterday turned out to be a totally unexpected day, in a good way, for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

As you will recall, my planned entertainment event for the evening was a benefit concert called “We’ll Take Manhattan” being performed at The New World Stages on West 50th Street.

In mid-afternoon I received a text from John Scott Reed aka Fabson wanting to know if I was free later in the day/evening for some much needed/wanted face time? I immediately was able to cancel my show and we made plans to get together at his new (to him) apartment, located on West 37th Street, in my immediate ‘hood.

Scott had just lost a dear friend, Hayne Suthon, who lost her decade-long battle with cancer.

He and her multitude of family and friends are now in the recovery process for themselves. 

Hayne was the owner of Lucky Cheng’s, the Drag Queen Capital of the Universe, now located on West 52nd Street, in the Theatre District.

As planned, we met at his 2-bedroom apartment that he shares with his roommate, Paul Navarro. It is located on the 20th floor of an upscale high-rise building and has an awesome balcony with amazing city views, which includes my apartment building.
In the selfie we took my building is the striped one in the background.

We did some much needed catching up. The last time we were together was back on April 19th when he and his roomie Paul delivered the 42” flat screen TV to me as my 80th birthday present.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony just talking about things and stuff. Scott remains totally immersed in his job with Facebook. He just got back from a job-related trip to London and Dublin, with a personal side-trip to Paris.

We had dinner at Tavola, a trendy restaurant on 9th Avenue between 37th and 38th Streets. It was outstanding. We both had gourmet pizza.
 After dinner we split.

So==>Scott, it was really great being with you.

As I was walking back to the apartment I suddenly felt the need/urge for a walk and wander session, so I rather leisurely walked up 9th Avenue to 57th Street, then West of 57th Street to 12th Avenue, the south on 12th back to 42nd Street and east of 42nd Street back to PHC.

There was a nice breeze coming off the Hudson River and it felt great.

When I got back to the apartment I showered and then settled in to watch the 10:10pm YANKEES/SEATTLE game (details below).

My entertainment event for tonight is a classical music concert ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall
The program is:

Beethoven - Piano Concertos No. 1 & 2 - performed by Yefim Bronfman; and,

Anthony Cheung - Lyra (World Premiere)
(subscription series)

For this concert I will be seated next to my new friends Lenny Gordon and his wife Marie Taylor.

Billi Pod is very much in need of a classical music fix so I am really looking forward to this concert.

Now, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, to close out this posting ... let’s have a bit of sports ... for Marty ...

Last night, in Seattle, The Yankees (32-31) beat The Mariners (34-30) 3-2 behind excellent at-bats from the slumping Derek Jeter and a crucial hit from Jacoby Ellsbury. In the bottom of the 9th David Robertson struck out the side to earn his 15th save.

Tonight at 10:10pm will be game 2 of the 3-game series. On the mound for The Yankees will be our ace Masahiro Tanaka (9-1) vs. the 6’10” Chris Young (5-3).

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.54 miles (or, 9,922 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>609.54 miles (average 3.79 miles per day)

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: