Sunday, November 15, 2009

Saturday - ????????? - WTF!!

Man, Saturday turned out to be a strange day/evening. What do I mean you loyal and faithful readers are doubtlessly asking? Well, first the weather was nasty and it rained most of the day and into the night, lightly at first and then it picked up as the evening began and wore on.


As you know, I was pacing around PHC waiting for the Gators vs. South Carolina Limpcocks ... ooooooops, sorry I meant Gamecocks, game to begin at 3:30. I had predicted the score to be 27 - 13 and the actual score was 24 - 14, but the game was much much closer than the final score indicates. During the game my grandsons Lex and Topher and I texted our concerns about the Gators and the game.


Yes, I know, the Gators won and they have the longest winning streak in the country and are going to play Alabama for the SEC Championship, with the winner advancing to the BCS Championship game, probably against Texas, yet ... this team isn’t the team that won the BCS last year. The following is a excerpt from Sunday’s New York Times ....

**************************

“For Gators, Winning Margin Doesn’t Include Style Points. COLUMBIA, S.C. - As this Florida season teeters on the verge of history, The Gators continue to beat their opponents and lose to their toughest competition.


Top-ranked Florida moved closer to its second consecutive national title Saturday with a teeth-gnashing 24-14 victory over South Carolina. Throughout their undefeated season, however, the Gators cannot seem to control their biggest nemesis - the past dominance of Florida teams. Expected to be a team of historic production, the Gators have simply settled for being stellar. . . . As Florida chases football history, it could win the national championship and never beat its toughest opponent this season - its own history.”

***********************

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel. Have we Gators become spoiled? Probably, but nonetheless, this is how I/we feel and I must report it in the name of fair and unbiased reporting.


When the game was finally over it was time for me to head down to The Village for the 8:00pm performance of “The Gayest Christmas Pageant Ever,” which I described in an earlier posting. It was raining fairly heavily. It was 7:00pm when I was ready to head out. I checked my email just before I walked out the door. Thank God I did, because I had an email from my ticket service that said the following: “We are sorry to inform you that the box office just called and told us that tonight’s performance is oversold and all comps have been retracted.”


OMFG!! Thank God I checked my email. I think I would have gone postal if I had arrived at the theater box office, soaking wet and cold, and been told that I didn’t have a ticket. Technically this can happen at any time with complimentary tickets (meaning free) but it very very rarely does.


OMFG!! It was Saturday night, nasty and rainy, and Billi Pod’s entertainment schedule was suddenly open. WTF!! The only movie I had any interest in was "2012," and, frankly, I wasn’t in the mood to sit through 2 hours of death and destruction, so what did I do?


First of all, I reminded myself that one of the benefits of being an active retiree is that every night is a Saturday night, so staying in is not a major grievance. Yeah, right ... that argument didn’t make me feel any better. But, I did stay in for the remainder of the evening, watching football games played by teams I didn’t give a fuck about, until it was time for Saturday Night Live.


And, guess what? This SNL was one of the lamest I have seen in a long long time. Man, even The Discovery Channel and The History Channel programming was lame.


When I crashed around 1:30am (30 minutes earlier than usual) I acknowledged that even Billi Pod can have a kinda strange day/evening in The Big Apple. Oh well ...


Go Gators!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: