Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday - A 2009 Season Wrap Up

I want to make a few observations about the 2009 season and what it meant to me to have been part of this inaugural season in the new Yankee Stadium, then I will put baseball to rest until Spring Training 2010. And, yes, I can hear the collective sighs of relief from many of you otherwise loyal and faithful readers.


When the season opened I was still in the throes of deciding where I was going to live, having not yet made my decision to move from Midtown East to 420 W. 42nd Street in Penthouse C. I wasn’t overly pleased with the new stadium and/or my 41 game partial season ticket plan seat location. Early-on the stadium gave me the feeling of watching the game in a sports bar. Slowly, however, my perception began to change.


In all of my partial season ticket packages in the past (beginning in 1999) I was never in the same seat for consecutive games. I was always moved around, and, frankly, I liked that because I could cocoon if I wanted to without having to worry about hurting anyone’s feelings. I didn't have to interact if I didn't want to. With the new 41 game package I am in the same seat, Main Level, Section 212, row 5, seat 17. Interestingly, everyone seated near me, to the sides, front and back, are all full-season ticket plan holders, I am the only partial plan holder.


In the 4 seats to my immediate left are: Erik (a pharmaceutical salesman), Anthony (a CPA) and Mark (a personal injury lawyer). They have been friends since college. During the season they rotated the seats so I got to meet family, business associates, boyfriends, girlfriends and just friends. I can say we, too, became friends over the season.


When the postseason arrived there developed a real closeness between all of the “group” around me and everyone was into each game from the first pitch to the last out. During the World Series games I would estimate we all stood about 75% of the time.


It is impossible for me to describe the elation when Mariano got the final out and the Yankees become World Series Champions for the 27th time. There was hugging and fist bumping and hand slapping and, yes, even tears of joy. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, without a doubt. I add being in Yankee Stadium on Wednesday night to my list of awesome Yankee moments, which includes being present for David Cone’s perfect game and Aaron Boone’s 2003 ALCS winning home run.


Everyone plans to renew their same plans for the 2010 season, including me, again for the 41 game partial plan.


The final game was my 56th game and the Yankees record for those games was 38 wins and 18 losses. Being the statistic nerd that I am I determined the following: home games started on April 15 and ended on November 4, for a total of 203 days. I spent almost 30% of those days/nights at Yankee stadium. Also, the Yankees played a total of 89 home games (including the postseason) and I was there for almost 65% of them. Yeah, you might say that I am an avid baseball fan.


But, I opted not to attend the parade this morning. Been there and done that, first in 1996 and last in 2000. Huge crowds (estimated in the millions) kinda spook me out, sorta like being in Times Square on New Year’s Eve for the dropping of the ball or at the lighting of the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center - everyone should do it once, but once is enough.


So, now my loyal and faithful readers, much to your relief - baseball goes on the back burner until spring.


Go Gators and Go Yankees in 2010!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: