Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tuesday - Updates and HSBC stuff

Good afternoon everyone.

I hope everyone had a very Happy 4th of July weekend. I know that I did, starting on Friday with a very well written and performed play called “The Rivals,” about the 1858 debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas.

On Saturday, the 4th, was a 1:05 game between The Yankees and The Toronto Blue Jays. The weather was excellent. Luckily my seat is in the shade. The row right in front of me is in the sun most of the time. It was a very exciting game that went into extra innings. The Yankees finally won 6-5 in the bottom of the 12th inning.

When I finally got back to PHC I just chilled until it was time for the Macys Fireworks Show in the Hudson River. It began at 9:20 and lasted 26 minutes. I took a bunch of pictures, one of which I have previously posted. I think I need to clear up one thing - my building does not have a “roof deck” as such, rather there is a “sun deck” on the 4th floor adjacent to the gym. This is where I expected to watch the show because there is a good view of the river.

But, just as I was leaving PHC to go downstairs to the 4th floor I noticed a group of people going upstairs in the stairway. Long story short ... at the last minute the building super permitted access to the roof. I joined the group of about 50 and that is where I took my pictures.

When the display was over I came back to the apartment, grilled a great steak on my George Foreman grill and ate it while watching the Fireworks Show from Boston with the Boston Pops. A great day!!

On Sunday I stayed in during the afternoon to watch the Yankees/Toronto game, which the Yankees won, making it 3 straight over the Blue Jays. Then in the evening I left the apartment and walked for the 6 minutes required to get me to the massive theater complex (25 screens) at 42nd and 8th Avenue to see “Year One,” starring Jack Black and Michael Cera.

I was in the mood for a funny, profane, gross-out, frat-boy humor movie and this certainly fit the bill. Black and Cera are two primitive pals roaming the Earth circa the year 1 B.C. If you are in the same mood see this show, if not, stay as far away as you can.

Yesterday, Monday, was very very interesting. My entertainment event was the final Yankees/Toronto game at 1:05. Just as I was about to leave for the game the phone rang and it was a representative from the casting agency for the HSBC commercial. Wow!!

In her words: “...we are very very interested in you, William.” She then asked for some personal and background information (I remember being a bit surprised at the “audition” when they didn’t want my resume) and asked for my permission to do a background check. Now, the reason for this is that they don’t want a commercial featuring a convicted child molester, etc, and I certainly understand. Of course I said OK and she said she would email the application form and I could complete it after I got back from the game and fax it to her.

I know I should have asked more questions but I didn’t. I do know that the shooting is still scheduled for one-day on Thursday, July 16. If I get cast I will be paid for the day and then will receive “residuals” every time the commercial is aired world-wide.

I went on to the game, which, dammit, the Yankees lost 6-7, partially as a result of several blown calls by the umpiring crew. Again the weather was awesome and I was in the shade. The home-season is now half over and the record for games I have seen is: 10 wins and 10 losses. Damn!!

When I got back to PHC the email from the casting agency had arrived. I had a bit of a problem formatting the application since it was a Windows (barf) document and I am, of course, a Mac. I finally did it and filled out the information. As I was completing it, the phone rang ... and ...

It was IKEA calling to arrange a delivery date for my bed, 2 night stands, and 6-drawer chest. We agreed on Wednesday with the exact time to be determined today.

I finally found a place with a fax machine and sent the application materials to the casting agency. By this time it was almost 8:00 so I decided I would stay in for the rest of the evening and watch the Braves/Cubs game on ESPN.

I am assuming I will hear from the casting agency later in the week if I am selected. Will keep you informed, my loyal and faithful readers.

I have some errands to run and other things and stuff, so I will post this now.

Go Yankees and Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

PS: Ahem ...you still have time to volunteer to help me assemble my IKEA stuff.

No comments: