Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Well, my loyal and faithful readers, this afternoon was the taping of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I was able to get a ticket back in early February and I was really looking forward to the event.

In an earlier posting I had described my experience at a taping of The Colbert Report, with Stephen Colbert.

The Jon Stewart studio is located on 11th Avenue between 51st and 52nd Streets, an easy walk from 420 W. 42nd Street. My confirmation email contained instructions and a recommendation that it would be best to arrive at the site between 3:30-4:00, even though the doors wouldn’t open until shortly after 5:00. I knew from my experience with The Colbert Report that the earlier the arrival the more likely one is to actually get in. I later learned that this studio seats 216 while the Colbert studio seats only 106.

So with this is mind I arrived at 3:15 and discovered a line of approximately 100 people. I felt rather confident though that I would be admitted. I got in line and then the long long long wait began. I did have several nice conversations with people around me, including 2 60ish ladies from outside Philadelphia who were making their 5th visit to the show.

At 4:15 a young lady with a clipboard began checking names and handing out passes/tickets. At this point I knew that I would get into the show. We were allowed into the studio to use the restrooms. A security person then explained the rules of the studio: no food, no drink, no gum, no bathroom breaks, no standing, no heckling, no talking, no phones, no cameras, no inappropriate questions, etc.

About 5:15 they began letting people in, the VIP line of about 25 folks went first. They ushered us through security which was as tight, if not tighter than some of the airport security stations I've been through recently.  I think I removed everything except my shoes. My messenger bag was completely searched and I went through a metal detector.

I was inside the studio at 5:45 and was directed to an excellent seat in the center section, aisle seat, row 7 (of 10). Once inside we waited.  And we waited.  And we waited. Some unseen sound engineer  blared pop/rock music from speakers above.  I do mean blared too, it was hard to talk to the person next to you.

Finally the warm-up comic, Paul Mecurio, came out, and he was very entertaining (and better than the warm-up comic for Colbert). He picked on the audience a little while and tried to get us involved.  Halfway through the routine he had the fortune of finding a mature gay couple in the audience and they had a funny back and forth.

Immediately following that, Jon Stewart came out and did a short Q &A with us which was mildly entertaining. Then around 6:30 the show began and it zipped through. There were no re-takes. There was a funny bit about Sarah Palin and then it was time for the guest, Congressman Barney Frank, who is Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. He and Jon bantered back and forth about the economy and whether the stimulus package(s) were doing what they were planned to do.

The show was over a few minutes after 7:00 and we were ushered out after receiving a brief “thank you” from Jon for being a loud and receptive audience. Despite the long wait to get in, it was well worth it.

Interestingly, as I was walking south on 11th Avenue back to PHC Congressman Frank walked in front of me to get into his limo. I told him how much I appreciated his efforts during these difficult times and he said thanks and shook my hand. How about that?

Anyway, I look forward to watching the show tonight on Comedy Central at 11:00. They rarely pan to the audience on this show so I am rather certain Billi Pod will not be on TV tonight.

Lots of other stuff to report on tomorrow.

Go Gators and Go Yankees!!!

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

PS: Over the weekend I was able to fully assemble all of the IKEA stuff, on my own. I swear to the Gods - I will never ever ever do this again, ever ... but at least it is done.

No comments: