Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday - I Am So Lucky!!!

Boy, time flies when you are having fun, and make no mistake about it, Billi Pod has been having fun for the past 4 weeks since moving into Penthouse C at 420 W. 42nd Street, in the Greatest City in The World.

Oh God!! I love this apartment. I am sooooooooooo fucking lucky, I really really am. Thank you Higher Power.

Now, let me share with you, my loyal and faithful readers, what my entertainment schedule will be for the next 9 days --

Tuesday - 7:05 - Yankees vs. Seattle

Wednesday - 8:00 - “The Fantasticks” - Off Broadway. This, of course, is the longest running musical in the world, which has moved from its original West Village location to a venue at Broadway and 50th Street. I have seen the show many times but when it came up on one of my services I couldn’t miss the opportunity to see it again, with a free ticket. To refresh your recollection about the show, this is the press blurb: “A new production of The Fantasticks, the world's longest running musical love story features music by Harvey Schmidt and book and lyrics by Tom Jones. Jones also directs. The musical tells the story of a young boy and girl who fall madly in love at the hands of their meddling fathers, but soon grow restless and stray from one another. Will their separation provide a deeper appreciation for the love they once shared or create a permanent gulf between them?” (complimentary ticket).

Thursday - 7:05 - Yankees vs. Seattle

Friday - 8:00 - “The Rivalry” - Off Broadway. This show has received rave reviews and has been extended several times. I am looking forward to finally getting to see it. “In 1858, two extraordinary men shared a podium to debate issues that would rock the world. Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas, the nation's most charismatic orators, tackled these historic debates with a fervor and an energy which hypnotized the nation. Using their passionate words, playwright Norman Corwin opens the world of the past with searing intensity and offers a play as trailblazing as the real life characters who inhabit it.” (complimentary ticket).

Saturday - July 4th - 1:05 - Yankees vs. Toronto.

In the evening I will watch the Hudson River fireworks from the roof deck of 420 W. 42nd Street. Awesome.

Sunday - open at the moment.

Monday - 1:05 - Yankees vs. Toronto

Tuesday - 8:00 - “The Unbearable Lightness of Being Taylor Nagron” - Off Broadway. “This new spoken-word fusion of true stories and music is performed by the iconoclastic actor and comedian Taylor Nagron. (discounted TDF ticket).

Wednesday - 7:30 - “The Musical of Musicals (The Musical!)” - Off Broadway. “The acclaimed off Broadway hit by Eric Rockwell and Joanne Bogart that has played to sold-out houses across the United Stages, in Canada and on London's West End, will return to New York for a one-night-only performance, on Wednesday, July 8. The evening will benefit the York Theatre Company, the award-winning off-Broadway company that first produced the show, in 2004, in honor of the theatre's 40th Anniversary.”

“The plot is simple: June, an ingĂ©nue who can't pay the rent, is threatened by her evil landlord. Will the handsome leading man come to her rescue? In an evening of variations on a theme, this basic plot is musicalized the way Rodgers and Hammerstein might have envisioned it, taking place in Kansas in August, complete with a Dream Ballet. The story is then done in the style of Stephen Sondheim, featuring the landlord as a tortured, artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge because they don't appreciate his art. When presented in the style of Jerry Herman, the story becomes a splashy star vehicle, while the Andrew Lloyd Webber version is a rock musical, with borrowed themes from Puccini. The story is re-told one last time in the style of Kander and Ebb, set in a speakeasy in Chicago. The tone of this evening of satire is loving/irreverent "in a sorry/grateful" kind of way.”

I am a financial supporter of the York Theatre Company. I love this show and saw it multiple times during its run at The York and then at a larger Off-Broadway venue. I have a full price ticket to this show, which includes an after-show reception. Really looking forward to the evening.

On Thursday I have my semiannual PSA and finger-up-the-butt appointment with my urologist. I know - but it is something guys my age have to do. In fact, all guys over the age of 50 should do it on at least an annual basis.

So, my loyal and faithful readers, this is what my upcoming entertainment schedule looks like.

I am working on the stats for the month of June and for the first 6 months of 2009 and hope to post them early next week.

I was gonna post some observations about living in the Westside vs. living in the Eastside but I will save that for later because I have things and stuff to do.

Oh, last night I ordered bedroom stuff online from IKEA - a bed frame, 2 night tables, and a 6 drawer chest. Delivery should be sometime after July 4th.

Hey, anyone want to volunteer to help me assemble this stuff? Anyone??????

Go Yankees and Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: