Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wednesday - Michael Jackson and Stuff

I’ll probably get into trouble for posting the following item from today’s Cindy Adams (the noted gossip writer) column in The New York Post, but this is it --

“...Our president is black; head of the RNC, Michael Steele, is black; best-known media mogul, Oprah, is black; greatest golfer, Tiger Woods, is black; highest-grossing actor, Will Smith, is black. Michael Jackson must be kicking himself ...”

Anyway ... please remember to write me if I end up in Riker’s Island. Oh, I posted the photo, it wasn't in the column.

Now some comments on my entertainment schedule and events ....

Saturday afternoon was a rather strange musical called “Archbishop Supreme Tartuffe.” starring the respected actor Andre DeShields. I have never been a fan of Moliere’s “Tartuffe” so I can’t really give an unbiased opinion about this show, but, I would call it a so-so performance at best. And, gospel music isn’t high on my list either.
.
Monday night I saw a really interesting one-man show called “The Monthly Nut,” written and performed by James Braly about the difficulties in living and working in NYC. The show has a limited run but I highly recommend it.

Last night’s, Tuesday, entertainment event, Matthew Broderick in “The Philanthropist,” which I described in the last posting, was a MAJOR disappointment. I knew the show had gotten very lukewarm reviews, especially Broderick’s performance, but I went with an open mind because I have liked him in all of the other works I have seen him in.

Well, my loyal and faithful readers, it was one of the most boring shows I have seen in ages and Matthew was simply ... oh what is the word ... simply ... blah. Yes, blah and double blah. At intermission there was a mass exodus to the exit as it appeared as if at least 25% of the audience fled. I came close to joining them but I didn’t. Instead I opted to give Matthew and the cast an opportunity to make Act II interesting. Well, they failed. Act II was just as flat as Act I. Oh well ...

Sunday afternoon I was at Yankee stadium when the Bronx Bombers put a major ass-whipping on the Mets, winning 15-0 against the Mets’ ace pitcher Johan Santana and winning the Subway series 2-1. This was my 15th game of the season and the Yankee’s record for those games is only 8-7. Not one of the 3 games at the new stadium was a sellout and this in and of itself speaks volumes about the wretched decision by Yankee management to price the prime seats out of the reach of almost everyone. It’s called GREED assholes!!!

Tonight, Wednesday, I will head out to the stadium to see the game against the pathetic Washington Nationals. Chien-Ming Wang (0-4) will have what is probably his last shot at remaining in the starting rotation. If he fails his spot will be taken by Phil Hughes.

I have added a show for this coming Saturday, an Off-Broadway show called “#9.” that is described as: “A musical exploration of the information age and its discontents. (discounted TDF ticket).

Finally, let me highly recommend the movie “The Hangover” about a Vegas bachelor party that goes awry when the 3 buddies wake up to find their suite trashed, their memories fuzzy and their soon-to-be-married friend nowhere to be found. Trust me, if you are in a mood to laugh then this is the show for you. If you aren’t, then stay the hell away.

This is just the kind of movie Billi Pod loves and I am really looking foward to “Year One” starring Jack Black and Michael Cera, opening on Friday.

In closing, my loyal and faithful readers - it is hard to believe that I have been in PHC for 2 whole weeks. I am loving it and will write about my thoughts and impressions soon.

Go Yankees and Go Gators!!!

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: