Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10, 2009 - A New Adventure Begins!!

Yes, I know I have been most remiss in writing newsletters and/or posting to this blog - but I do have an excuse, sorta ...

You see, my loyal and faithful readers, for the past 6 weeks I have been involved in making a decision whether I would renew my lease at 335 E. 51st Street, or, move into a nice 1 BR apartment in the Senior Citizen's Home, The Williams, at 95th Street & West End Avenue, or, select one of the several 1 BR apartments available in a newish high-rise building located at 420 W. 42nd Street, between 9th and 10th Avenues. I postponed making my final decision until after I returned from my wonderful trip to Paris to be with my former college roommate David West.

When I got back I decided that I just wasn’t ready for the structured environment of living at The Williams. Maybe some time in the future but not now. My options then were: renew or become a Westsider. I have been an Eastsider the whole time since my Big Apple adventures began back in June 1995. Was I ready to make the change?

I went back to 420 W. 42nd St. to look at their apartments and the leasing agent told me he had a new availability located in the Penthouse section, on the 41st floor. Penthouse!! Holy F@@k!! From an alcove studio to a Penthouse apartment - no way, thought I.

When he opened the door to PHC and I walked in and saw the Northern and Northeast views of The Greatest City in The World, my heart began to race. It was awesome and the apartment was in pristine condition. A spacious 1 BR with breathtaking views, in mint condition, at a rental far below what it was one year ago - Oh My Fucking God!! I asked if I could have 24 hours to think about it and he said yes, but no longer because obviously PHC is a prime location even though the rental market is way down (good for us renters, of course).

Let me make a very difficult decision making process quicker - 4 hours later I called the leasing agent and said I wanted it. OMG!!

Then began the long and arduous process of: jumping through the necessary hoops to get approved; informing my current landlord of my decision (she offered a substantial rent reduction to keep me); arranging a wire transfer of funds for the first and last month’s rent; signing the 1 year lease; sorting, throwing away and packing stuff; and, making moving arrangements with a professional mover.

I moved into PHC on Tuesday, June 2nd. Then began the task of unpacking and settling in. Student/bartender/manager Scott Reed helped me hang some of my art work. Thanks Scotty.

The whole process has been much more stressful than I anticipated. Maybe it is just a result of getting older - whatever - bottom line - Billi Pod has now become a Westsider and is loving it.

This is the building --


This is the northern view --

This is looking down on 42nd Street at the intersection with 9th Avenue.


Why am I here? Well, to begin with, when you walk out of the building door and turn left, right next door is The Little Schubert Theater and next to that is a very nice diner. If you turn right from the building entrance - immediately next door is Playwright’s Horizon Theater (with 2 venues), next to that is the trendy Chez Josephine restaurant, next to that is Theater Row (with 5 venues) and next to that is a pizza place. The Port Authority terminal is a block and a half away. Across the street is a grocery store that comes as close to being a Publix as any store I have seen in Manhattan. And I could go on and on, but ... you get the picture.

I know some of you want to know this: the rent is only $850 more per month than I paid at 335 E. 51st for my alcove studio. Stop your deep breathing - remember - this is New York City.

Interestingly, since June 2nd I have somehow found the time to do the following: 3 Yankee baseball games; 1 Off-Broadway show; and 1 New York Philharmonic concert.

So, my loyal and faithful readers - bottom line - I am alive, well, and very happy to be embarking on a new adventure. I expect to be blogging on a regular basis again.

Go Gators and Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod

PS: This morning I signed an amended lease agreement for 2 years rather than 1 year.

1 comment:

Alex said...

This looks like a much better place than The Williams. You would have been miserable. What a view!!