Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday morning - my Tony Predictions and other things and stuff

THE TONY AWARD CEREMONY - The 62nd Annual Tony Awards will be broadcast on Sunday at 8:00 on CBS from Radio City Music Hall so I know all of you out there in cyberspace are anxiously awaiting my predictions, so here goes:

Musical - “In the Heights” wins over “Passing Strange.”

Play - “August: Osage County” is a lock to win even though I personally found this 3+ hour dysfunctional-family-reunion play to be boring and way way too long.

Musical, Revival - The magnificent “South Pacific” will nose out “Gypsy.”

Play, Revival - “Boing-Boing” over a lackluster field.

Actor, Musical - Paulo Szot as the leading man in “South Pacific.”

Actress, Musical - This is a cat-fight between Patti LuPone in “Gypsy” and Kelli O’Hara in “South Pacific” with the award going to - tada - Patti LuPone. I have to say that her portrayal of Mama Rose was absolutely breath-taking.

Actress, Play - Someone from “August: Osage County,” I really don’t care.

Actor, Play - Mark Rylance from “Boing-Boing.”

So there you are. And, for those of you who carefully follow everything that I post, yes, I admit it - I inadvertently scheduled a show from 8:00 Sunday night - The Musical in Mufti Series @ The York Theater production of “Grind.” Will I eat the $23 ticket and just chalk it up to stupidity? I don’t know. I think I am going to chew out my friend Jim Morgan, who is the Artistic Director of The York Theater, for scheduling something that conflicts with the Award Ceremony - his bad, not mine.

ORLANDO TRIP DETAILS - this is my schedule for my upcoming trip down to Orlando to be with Bill --

Monday - June 16 11:00am - depart LGA - American #1617
01:50pm - arrive Orlando

William A. Norris, III
407-657-8586

Wednesday - June 18 - Bill’s ear surgery in the morning

Saturday - June 21 11:00am - depart Orlando - Delta #1484
01:41pm (yeah right) arrive LGA

OTHER STUFF

1. As with many others I am still shocked over the sudden death of Tim Russert. He will indeed be missed.

2. Thursday was a great day starting with an excellent late lunch with student/bartender/manager Scott Reed at one of my favorite Lower Eastside restaurants, Schillers. After lunch Scott took me over to the place were he is shift-manager, the mega-trendy bar called Spitzers. He gave me a tour and introduced me to the staff.

When I left Scott I had intended to go up to Union Square to catch the 4:40 showing of the movie “Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay” and then stay in the Union Square area because my evening show “The Perfect Couple” is playing in the area. Well, I got to the movie theater at 4:35 only to find out that the correct show time was 4:20, which was the actual start of the movie, not the usual preview bullshit. Damn. I came on back to the apartment.

“The Perfect Couple” was an OK comedy/drama but it didn’t set me on fire as I had thought it would. It was only 75 minutes, without intermission. When it was over I walked back to the apartment via Park Avenue, a distance of about 2 miles, while listening to the Yankee game and they won.

3. Friday night I saw a great, and I mean A GREAT, performance of “The Bully Pulpit,” a one-man show about Teddy Roosevelt on his 60th birthday, written and performed by Michael O. Smith. He looked just like Roosevelt. The show was 2 hours with a 10 minute intermission. He got a roaring standing ovation. When it was over I walked back to the apartment, a distance of 2 miles, while listening to the Yankee game and they won.

4. Have a 2:15 matinee this afternoon, “Vincent River,” and then tonight at 8:OO is “Tosca” by the New York Philharmonic @ Lincoln Center.

OK, I got things to do, so ... later ...

Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: