Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday - A Belated Update on Billi Pod’s Activities

Errrrrrrrr ... hi, my loyal and faithful readers ...Errrrrrrrrrr.... I know that I owe you an apology for failing to keep you up-to-date on my activities for the past 9 days in The Greatest City in The World, and I have no legitimate excuses, no, not even one. My bad and I am soooooooo sorry. I wish I could say that it won’t happen again but that would not be fair and unbiased reporting, the compact that has driven this blog since its inception in April 2008. So, having said all of that, let us move on, OK? Right!

Since the last posting I have done so much that I will just have to report most of the activities in a semi-summary form.

First and foremost was the wonderful time I had with Sandy Mullon of Anna Maria, FL, during her visit from August 11 - 14. She was my first out-of-town guest in PHC and she seemed to love the apartment and especially the awesome views of The City. We did a lot of things and stuff, including: the Guggenheim Museum; the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA); SoHo; 3 shows (“Sweet Storm” and “Our Town” both Off-Broadway and the awesome Broadway revival of “South Pacific” at Lincoln Center); and dinners at Angus McIndoe, Theatre Row Diner and Josephina at Lincoln Center. Actually one of the highlights of our time together, at least for me, came on Sandy’s final night here, after we had seen “South Pacific.” The show was out a little after 11:00pm and she surprised me by announcing that she would like to walk the 20+ blocks down 9th Avenue back to PHC. Of course I said YES!!. The weather was awesome and the walk-back was a wonderful way to end a great evening and our all-too-short time together.

I am now in the midst of my usual August Off-Off Broadway frenzy due to the annual New York International Fringe Festival (FringeNYC). Let me give you a bit of background - “Fringe NYC is the largest multi-arts festival in North America, and runs from August 14 - 30, 2009. This year, the festival will offer performances by 201 of the world's best emerging theatre troupes and dance companies. Invited performers represent 7 countries and 20 U.S. states. The festival presents works covering a wide range of disciplines including drama, comedy, dance, performance art, children's theater, outdoor theater , spoken word, puppetry, improv, and multimedia.”

Each show runs for only 5 performances. Tickets cost $15, or $10 with my Senior Discount.

I have seen, or will see, 9 shows, thus far, which I will identify by title without wasting your time on a summary, with one major exception, later: “ The Jungle Fun Room;” “John & Greg’s High School Reunion;” “Victoria and Frederick for President;” “Eat, Drink, and Be Merry;” “How Now, Dow Jones;” “Vote;” “Abraham Lincoln’s Big, Gay Dance Party;” and, “The Boys Upstairs” (twice).

The major exception is “The Boys Upstairs” - “Sex, Dating, Friendship, and all the blurry lines in between...this New York story invites you upstairs to the fabulous living room of city boys who handle relationships, careers, and the city with style, scandal, and specialty cocktails!” This show is being produced by my young friend Justin Allen Pifer and I am happy to report that not only is the show very funny and well acted, it is also receiving favorable reviews and a lots of show-business “buzz.”

I posted the following on the theater-related chat board “Talkin’ Broadway - All That Chat”, in response to a very favorable review --
*************************
“I saw the show on its opening night and laughed and laughed and had a good time. So much so that I am taking two friends to see the Tuesday night performance.

If you are in the mood to laugh, to watch excellent acting, to see some nice looking guys, and perhaps to identify with either the characters or some of the scenes, then this is the show for you.”
**************************
As I said, I saw the show on its opening performance and then again with student/bartender/manager Scott Reed and his friend Jeremy. Hopefully the show will find a life after The Fringe.

I anticipate seeing 5-7 additional shows between now and August 30.

Wednesday night I made my first trip out to Citifield, the new home of the struggling Mets, located in the foreign country known as Queens. You get to the stadium via the #7 subway line, which is no problem if you can catch an express train, which is only 7 stops. Luckily, I expressed it out to the stadium.

My purpose was to see the new stadium and I have to say that it is a very impressive structure but not nearly as impressive as the new Yankee stadium, of course. The Mets were playing the Atlanta Braves, who kicked butt, beating the Mets 15-2. Barf! My seat location was excellent, very similar to my seat location in Yankee stadium. I had gotten my ticket through one of my ticket services with a 50% discount. I spent most of the time wandering around the stadium just checking things out. I had no intention to stay for the whole game, so I was outta there at 9:00. OMG!! I was forced to ride a local train back into Manhattan and that took F O R E V E R because there are 19 local stops before you finally reach The Port Authority Terminal.

Speaking of baseball - I am certain you, my loyal and faithful readers, are aware that the Yankees lead The Boston Fucksox by 7 games and they play a 3 game weekend series in that fetid bandbox known as Fenway Park. I must admit that my upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be built around being glued to the TV for each of the games. I know, I know, but ... I am a true Yankee fan, so what do you expect? So, on that happy note I will close this out.

Go Yankees and Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: