Friday, August 28, 2009

My Non-relationship with Dominick Dunne

"Famed crime writer and socialite Dominick Dunne died on Wednesday at his home located at 155 E. 49th Street in Manhattan. He was 83 and lost his battle with bladder cancer.

Dunne was known for his articles in Vanity Fair, where he worked for more than a quarter century.

He was best known, however, for his coverage of the murder trial of OJ Simpson and his TV appearances thereafter." (from various news sources)

What is my connection to him you loyal and faithful readers are breathlessly asking? Well, here goes ...

My first sublet in New York City was during the summer of 1995 at 155 E. 49th Street and I remember being thrilled to learn that the penthouse was owned and occupied by Dominick Dunne, who was deep into reporting the OJ Simpson trial and its aftermath.

I was introduced to Nicky (as his closest friends called him - he was always Mr. Dunne to me) by the building Superintendent, who told him that I was a retired Judge. I remember Nicky looking me right in the eye and saying something like ...”well, that’s very very interesting. It’s nice having you in our building...we should visit ...”

I immediately took that to mean that there was a possibility that we could become friends and that I could provide him with, among other things, a fair and unbiased look into the operations of the Judicial System.

Time passed and I saw him often, on the elevator and coming and going, but he always seemed a bit distant, so several months later I took things into my own hands and sent him a letter written on my Senior Circuit Judge letterhead. In the letter I offered to be a confidential advisor on any matters or area of his choosing, with no compensation or acknowledgment of any kind. I even offered to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Several days later I got the nicest hand-written response from Nicky saying that he appreciated my offer and interest and that he would contact me if and when he ever needed my services/advice.

And that was the last I heard from him in this regard although we would often run into each other in the building. At one point he actually introduced me to Mark Fuhrman, who was a key witness in the Simpson trial
.
In 1999 I had to give up the apartment I had sublet from my friend, Actor David Huddleston, when the co-op board decided to withdraw permission for sublets in the building.

However, my apartments from then until this summer were in the same ‘hood and I would run into Nicky from time to time and you know what was funny - when it was just he and I, he would be very distant, almost aloof. But, when either he or I were with someone else, he became effusive, acting as if we were the best of friends. He would always refer to me as “The Judge” and would make an effort to always call me by my full name. In fact, I remember one time when he asked me how my son in Orlando was doing and I had absolutely no recollection of ever telling him anything about my family.

The last time I saw Nicky was about 6 months ago as he was about to enter 155 E. 49th. We just shook hands. He looked ill and very frail.

So, RIP Nicky - I regret we never became BFF.

Billi Pod
“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: