Friday, January 25, 2013

TGIF For All Of My Worker Bee Friends


Friday==>yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, it is still frigid here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. “How cold?” I know you are asking your inner selves out there in the hinterlands, wastelands and boondocks? How about 12º @ 8:30am, with snow in the forecast for later in the afternoon.

Yes, I know ... it’s not a good TGIF for all of my Worker Bee friends since there is a 30% chance it will be snowing at 5:05pm, the earliest that your weekend can begin. Yes ... I know that your bosses/supervisors will leave early in order to avoid the slippery and icy streets and roadways but ... remember ... you are Worker Bees ... meaning ... you gotta stay on the job until at least 5:05pm. Just live with it because you have no choice.

Moving on to more pleasant things, like ...

Last night’s NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC concert was, overall, excellent. My free ticket was center orchestra, row K, one of the best seats I have ever had for a NY Phil concert. It was really awesome.

I really liked Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Overture and Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 5. Lutoslawski’s (who??) Dialogue for Violin & Orchestra, performed by Jennifer Koh, was another matter. It was the type of atonal dreck that Billi Pod hates. I will say that Koh did a masterful job with what has handed her.

Tonight is more classical music ...

8:00==>AMERICAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA @ Carnegie Hall - “What Makes a Masterpiece?” The program is:
Brahms - Symphony No. 4 (well-known);
Dvorak - Symphony No. 4 (lessor-known); and,
Herzogenberg (who??) - Symphony No. 1 (unknown)
(complimentary ticket)

This program questions why some works are regarded as masterpieces, while others of equal caliber are often overlooked

I feel rather certain that my comp. ticket will be in the upper nosebleed section, but with the acoustics in Carnegie Hall that isn’t a big deal.

A scheduling update ... 

Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, last night I booked a show for Sunday, thereby completing my entertainment schedule for the next 11 days/nights. The show is an Off Broadway drama called THE FUTURE IS NOT WHAT IT WAS, playing way downtown. 

Dammit, in today’s New York Post there was a blistering review that totally trashed the show ... oh well ... we will see ... stay tuned.

In closing ... as most of you loyal and faithful readers and followers know, Billi Pod doesn’t watch a whole lot of TV and when he does it is usually a sporting event or late-night shows like Conan, Letterman, or, lately, Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Well, last night I tuned in the Jimmy Kimmel show ... and folks ... it was one of the funniest shows I can recall ever seeing because it featured Matt Damon who, after being bumped from the show 1,205 times over 10 years,
finally got his revenge on Kimmel.

I won’t attempt to try to outline what happened in the 65 gut-bustingly-funny minutes that featured appearances by: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Kidman, Demi Moore, Amy Adams, Sally Field, Robert De Niro, Don Cheadle, John Krasinski, Oprah Winfrey, Andy Garcia and Robin Williams ... so ... check out these links ... you won’t be sorry ... trust me on this ... 




HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.24 miles (or, 7,086 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,069.95 miles

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>9.05 miles

GO GATORS AND GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: