Wednesday, December 31, 2008

December 31 2008 - Happy New Year’s Eve Everyone!!

It is early afternoon on December 31st and it is lightly snowing, a rather fitting way to usher in the end of 2008, a year of mixed blessing, to say the least. Oh, it was a great year for me entertainment-wise but so many other things were going on that I feel strange about even reporting all of the good things and stuff I did during the year. None-the-less, for you loyal and faithful readers, I am working on the 2008 statistics and will post them in the next several days, I promise. First the month of December, then the year 2008.

Tonight at 7:30 I have a special concert by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra at Lincoln Center. This is the program: “Ring in 2009 with an evening of festive music perfect for the occasion: overtures by Rossini and Verdi, dances by Brahms, Saint-Saens and Offenback, and popular arias by Mozart, Lehar and Bizet’s Carmen featuring opera superstar Susan Graham. It’s New York’s most glamorous New Year’s, and you’re invited.”

This special New Year’s Eve concert has become a tradition with me. When the concert ends around 9:30 I will come back to the apartment and settle in to watch the ball drop in Times Square. No way will I brave the crowds and snow to be there in person, no way. It is predicted that the wind-chill will bring the temperature down to -4 degrees. Nope, been there, done that, and each time I almost froze to death. The last time, I think, was in 2001, something I just had to do following the horror(s) of 9/11 2001. So, I will bring in 2009 in front of my TV while enjoying a Fresca and noshing on fruit and cheese.

Had a wonderful Christmas in Columbia, SC, with daughter Kathi and son-on-law Dr. John, son Bill and his 165 pound Rottweiller Zeko, and oldest grandson Alex and his wife Gina. Unfortunately, youngest grandson Chris and his girlfriend Sally were unable to join us due to work related issues. The Norris Travel Curse reared its ugly head on the return trip, however, when my flight was delayed almost 2 hours due to weather conditions.

I got back very late on Friday the 26th. Of course, for the following week I returned to my usual entertainment routine, as follows:

Saturday - 2:00 - “The Black Monk” - Off Broadway. “A stunning new musical inspired by Anton Chekhov's story, The Black Monk, follows the life of a gifted young artist. After five years at school in Moscow, Andrei returns home to his adopted father Igor and childhood love Tanya. As his artistic talent blossoms, will Andrei be able to hold on to love, family, and his sanity or will the power of the mysterious Black Monk drive him into the unknown?” (complimentary ticket).

Well, The Black Monk did indeed drive Andrei into the unknown and the show almost drove me crazy. Music and Chekhov? I should have known better.

8:00 - “Pig Tale: An Urban Faerie Story” - Off Broadway. “Set in the wilds of the East Village, Pig Tale is a witty, sexy urban faerie tale with a twist. When the handsome love interest suddenly turns into a real pig one night, his boyfriend has to wonder: doesn't that break all the rules of casual dating in the city? A look at what it takes for some humans - and especially some New Yorkers - to come to terms with commitment, cuddling and settling down together in that mythical house upstate.” (complimentary ticket)

This is a funny and very well performed show and it saved my day.

Sunday - 7:30 - “The Day the Earth Stood Still” - Movie. This is a remake of the classic 1951 movie, this time starring Keanu Reeves as Klaatu, who is on a mission to save earth by eliminating its destroyer, the human race. I really wanted to like this movie, which opened to very mixed reviews, but it just fell short. For example, they omitted the classic line “Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!”

Monday - 8:00 - “My Sinatra” - Off Broadway. “Cary Hoffman turns his highly-rated PBS Special and concert show "My Sinatra" into a musical play about his obsession with the legendary Frank Sinatra and the affect it had on him, a Long Island teenager growing up after losing 2 fathers and moving in with his 3 studio musician uncles, who played on some of Sinatra's ground breaking records. Using his strong, surprising Sinatra-like voice and over 30 Sinatra songs, Hoffman creates a musical score to his and his hero's life by weaving them into a compelling story of how an exquisite vocal obsession affected his life.” (complimentary ticket)

I had very mixed emotions about this show but the options for Monday night are pretty limited, so I decided I’d give it a shot and I am so glad I did. It is a very well written and performed production and if you close your eyes Hoffman’s voice will bring up the picture of Sinatra singing into your head.

Tuesday - 7:30 - “Striking 12” - Off Broadway. The press blurb is: This Zipper holiday tradition returns! Take a hip trip with the indie pop-rock band GrooveLily as they spread some holiday warmth on cold winter nights performing their critically acclaimed musical, Striking 12.  Combining pop-rock, musical comedy and old-fashioned uplift with a healthy dose of 21st-century skepticism, Striking 12 is the story of a Grumpy Guy who decides to avoid the hectic, loveless world on New Year's Eve, until he’s visited by an incandescent salesgirl with the promise to chase away his winter doldrums.” (complimentary ticket).

The house was sold-out for this performance, which was excellent. The 3 member group is extremely talented. This was a very enjoyable evening of theater.

OK, this is the past - what about the rest of the week? Well, tomorrow I have nothing planned by design. I intend to spend the entire day/evening watching bowl games.

On Friday I have a Broadway show, in early previews, called “American Plan.” The press blurb for the show is: “Lili Rabe and Mercedes Ruehl head the cast of this Broadway revival of Richard Greenbergs acclaimed play set in the Catskill Mountains in the early 1960s. Lili Adler and her mother Eva are spending the summer across the lake from a bustling hotel where comics entertain and buffets overflow. When a handsome young stranger enters their world, the emotionally fragile Lili finds herself falling in love. But once her imperious mother learns of their relationship, lies are exposed, alliances are forged and Lilis one chance to escape her mothers control may be lost forever.” (discounted TDF ticket).

At this moment Saturday and Sunday are open but I know I will spend time watching more bowl games.

Speaking of bowl games - I can hardly wait for the BCS Championship game on January 8th. My son Bill, who is a longtime Sooner fan, and I have made a very interesting bet on the game, the details of which I will post later.

Closing on a personal note - today my favorite doorman, Jorge Ramirez, (I call him Georgie) retired after over 20 years of service in the building. It is both a sad and joyful occasion. We will all miss him. Be well, Georgie, and have a great time in your new life!!

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: