Sunday, December 21, 2008

Saturday - the Big Apple is freezing

It is very very cold in the Big Apple at the moment as a result of the snow we got on Friday afternoon which accumulated and turned the streets and sidewalks into accidents waiting to happen.

I had a show scheduled last night downtown in The East Village. The show, “Here Comes the Change,” was at a venue I like, Theater for the New City, and the press blurb is: “The premiere of award-winning playwright Bina Sharif’s hilarious and timely new play is a satirical look back at the recent Presidential Election. We are taken on a whimsical journey to the Presidential debate, where Senator McCain appears more worried about losing his own house than winning the White House. His opponent, cool, collected Senator Obama, calls for both social and economic change, in an effort to win over his most ardent opponents.” It sounded very interesting and I had a complimentary ticket, meaning I had to go or face problems with the ticket service, so I headed out.

Well, first of all, it was very windy and bitterly cold and the sidewalks were covered with slush in the process of turning to black ice, the most dangerous kind because it is so difficult pick up. I walked very slowly and made it to the theater OK, and the use of OK about arriving was the only OK thing about the rest of the evening. It sucked!!

There were 8 people in the cast and 10 people in the audience, one of whom made a very noisy exit during the show. I have to say that the show was one of the very worst, writing and acting, that I have seen this year, bar none. It was worse than TERRIBLE. It was 90 minutes without intermission and the clocK stopped moving. I seriously thought I had died and was in purgatory. When it was finally over everyone bolted for the exit.

I put on my coat and gloves and headed to the bus stop where I had a long wait for the bus, of course. When it finally arrived there was another one right behind it, something that always drives me crazy and one of the reasons I rarely ride buses.

When I got back to the apartment and thawed out I checked the weather forecast for today, Saturday, and the projected high was 23 degrees. I had nothing scheduled for either Saturday or Sunday so I decided that unless something really really good turned up on my ticket services I would opt to stay in Saturday for sure and maybe Sunday too.

Well, nothing showed up so in I stayed. I don’t think it has gotten over 23 degrees all day. I had a couple of errands to run, picking up my ‘scripts from the Duane Reade drug store on the corner, picking up the laundry from the laundry across the street and getting some fruit from the grocery store on the next block.

When I first went out the sidewalks were still very icy and on each of the 2 trips (I combined the ‘scripts and laundry) I slipped and almost fell even though I was walking as carefully as I knew how. That was it - no fucking way was I going to go out for the evening, no way. And I didn’t.

Not sure about tomorrow. Time will tell. It is supposed to warm up just a bit but probably not enough to take care of the accumulated ice and snow.

On to other things.

I will be heading down to Columbia, SC, on Tuesday to spend Christmas with my daughter Kathi and son-in-law Dr. John Bendeck. We will be joined by my son Bill, who lives in Orlando, and oldest grandson Alex Falletta and his wife Gina. Unfortunately youngest grandson Chris Falletta and his girlfriend Sally will be unable to be with us and they will be missed. I will come back to the Big Apple on Friday evening, the 26th.

Have lots to report about the shows and stuff since the last posting and will probably do that tomorrow, so ...

Go Gators!!

Merry Christmas.

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy as to the weather and you unfortunate mishaps.

As to the play, I did not walk out the night you attended, but my wife and I did on the Friday night show. It was so clear that no one who had been at all involved in any entertainment medium whatsoever had a connection, even through marriage, to the show. It was as if 8 people who had never before seen a play or heard of political satire were charged with the duty to write and stage that monstrosity. it is so comforting to know that others were equally as appalled.