Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tuesday's Report

I just got back from seeing the very first preview performance of an Off Broadway play, “Beasley’s Christmas Party,” and this is the press blurb: “A new holiday classic full of humor, heart and hope! From the American author of The Magnificent Ambersons comes this story of a curious journalist and his extremely unusual next door neighbors - a turn of the last century midwestern gubernatorial candidate, his amazing house guests, and their wide circle of very special friends (but are these house guests and friends real or imagined?).” (complimentary ticket).

I found the show to be charming and just the right touch for this time of year. Not sure if the critics will feel the same way but it worked for me.

Last night was a staged reading of a dark comedy - “Grand Delusion” - Off Broadway. “This brand-new, biting black comedy from playwright David Rock, imagines a secret confab of world leaders in the days immediately preceding World War I. The zany cast of historical and fictional characters includes a paranoid and narcissistic Kaiser Wilhelm; his foolish cousin Czar Nicholas II; and an Austrian foreign minister hungry for a war that will suitably impress his beautiful girlfriend. It's a dark and hilarious depiction of how the gears of diplomacy just might have turned to alter history forever.” (complimentary ticket).

The Off Broadway venue called The Zipper (because it was once a zipper factory) was full with lots of theater-type people and almost everyone seemed to enjoy the outrageous and very risqué material, even though the results would lead to World War I. I enjoyed it too.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, should be an interesting day. As I have previously posted I will go up to Lincoln Center for the 3:00pm annual meeting of the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York, to be held in the Helen Huntington Hall on the 4th floor of Avery Fisher Hall. This should either be very interesting or a complete waste of time. When I get bored or the meeting ends, whichever comes first, I will then catch a movie, either the recently opened “Milk” or “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.” Then at ...

7:30 - The New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 6; Schumann’s Symphony No. 4; and Beethoven's Symphony No. 5. (series subscription).

Yes, I know, to those of you who carefully read these postings, both the Schumann and Beethoven symphonys have been parts of recent concerts but this sometimes happens when you exchange tickets like I do and I certainly don’t mind hearing them again.

Strangely, at the moment both Thursday and Friday are open but I am certain I will book something for both days. Saturday, of course, will be devoted to the SEC Championship game.

Speaking of which - I am nervous as hell about the game and I wish it were tomorrow. I have a prediction - yes, this is it - are you ready, my faithful and loyal readers? The game will be tied at the end of the first half and then the Gators will win by a score of ... tada ... 35 - 21 ... and advance to the BCS Championship to play Oklahoma.

Oh, for this entire week when I go out for whatever reason, I intend to shelve my usual black outfits and wear instead blue pants, blue shirt, blue Gator sweater and, of course, my Gator cap.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: