Sunday, June 16, 2013

Report Cards On Yesterday’s Tripleheader==>A, C-, A.


Sunday==>HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to those of my loyal and faithful readers and followers who have experienced the overwhelming awesomeness of fatherhood. 

Yes, we are indeed blessed to have had the opportunity to share, to love and to be loved in return.

I personally feel so very lucky to still be a part of the lives of my daughter, Kathi; my son, Bill aka The Bill; my two grandsons, Alex aka Army Guy and Chris aka Topher; and, my great-granddaughter, Saylor. Hopefully there will be a lot more Father’s Days for me in the future.

Moving on ...

As you loyal and faithful readers and followers know, yesterday was an entertainment tripleheader for your favorite blogger here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

The results==>2 wins and 1 loss ... so ... let’s get going with Billi Pod’s report cards, starting with ...

THE BOAT FACTORY, about workers in a shipyard in 1947 Belfast==>A

It was extremely well acted by the two performers, Dan Gordon and Michael Condron, who played countless characters who were employed at the boat yard, that had 35,000 employees at its height.

I found the plot to be very informative in its telling of the interlocking stories of boat-building, male friendship, hardship, humor and heroism.

The setting is in Northern Ireland and at first I had a bit of a problem with the dialects and slang. As the play went on my ear got tuned-in and it got better.

The show is playing at the 59E59 Theater Complex, has a running time of 2 hours, with intermission, and is running through June 30th.

Billi Pod says==>see this show!!

When the show was over I came back to PHC for the usual fruit and cheese plate and then it was time for my second show, down in The West Village.

I subwayed down to 14th Street and then leisurely walked the rest of the way down to the Cherry Lane Theatre to see ...

RANTOUL AND DIE, about how a husband attempts to deal with a failed marriage==>C-

It totally failed early on for me. There was way way too much screaming and cussing between the unlikeable characters. I am getting so f**king tired of actors screaming at each other from across the stage in seemingly never-ending anger, hatred and venom.

When I booked the show the info was given that it was 90 minutes, with an intermission. When I inquired at the box office I was told it was 2 hours, with an intermission.

Well, I had enough at intermission. I just couldn’t take any more, so I was outta there, something I rarely ever do. I did feel kinda bad about it because I know one of the producers, online.

When I left the theater the weather was extremely nice and the sun was setting, so I opted to walk all the way back to the apartment on 42nd Street. I walked up to 14th Street to the High Line entrance, walked the High Line up to its end/beginning on 30th Street and then up 10th Avenue to the apartment. It felt really good.

Had time to change shirts and then it was time for my third show, playing at the Theatre Row Complex on my block ...

THE BANANA MONOLOGUES, the hilarious true story about a difficult relationship==>A

This one-man show, performed by co-writer John Brennan, is in your face profane but totally funny and enjoyable.

The male character is ruled by his male-organ, his banana, that he has named Sergeant Johnson. Sergeant Johnson makes many appearances, of course.

The physicality of the performance is pretty amazing as Brennan bounds all over the stage and sometimes into the audience.

The audience was very much into this performance which runs for 90 minutes, without intermission. It is playing at the Theatre Row Complex on W. 42nd Street and runs through August 30th.

Billi Pod says==>if you want a good laugh and aren’t prudish ... see this show!!

It was 11:45pm when I opened the door to PHC and I have to admit to being a bit tired and emotionally drained from the day’s activities. I had also walked almost 9 miles ... so ... I guess I had every right to feel a bit tired.

Today’s entertainment event(s) will be ...

I will stay in for the afternoon to watch the final game of the YANKEES/ANGELS series @ 3:35pm EST.

Then for the evening it will be an Off Broadway show ...

7:00==>THE EXPLORERS CLUB - “In 1879 London a prestigious men’s club is shaken by the possibility of a female member.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show has received very good early buzz. it is playing at the Manhattan Theatre Club on West 55th Street.

Moving on to some news from the fading Yankee season ...

A west coast road trip that started well has now developed into a mind-numbing nightmare that has pundits suggesting that it might be the beginning of the end to the Yankees’ season.

Not only did the losing streak grow to 5-games with last night’s 6-2 loss to The Angels, Mark Teixeira left the game in the 4th inning with the same wrist problems that caused him to miss the opening 2-months of the season.

It is reported that he might need season-ending surgery. OMFG!!

In last night’s game our bats were anemic again, with only 5-hits and 14-strikeouts. Barf!!

This afternoon at 3:35pm EST the Angels will go for the sweep. It will be our failing ace CC Sabathia (6-5) vs. Jered Weaver (1-2).

On this happy note will post this and then do a little walking and wandering in the ‘hood.

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>8.92 miles (or, 19,489 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,653.27 miles 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


No comments: