Monday, February 16, 2015

Freezing Cold - Carnegie Hall Concert - Lunch at Meske - City Of



Monday==>Yes, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, it is freezing this morning here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.

At 8:30am it is and as a result of gusting winds the wind chill is down to -13. This is brutal.

And ... it doesn’t get any better as the week progresses. Snow is forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. Oh well ...

Let’s move on to a positive note and that will be ... tada ...

Billi Pod’s report on yesterday’s concert at Carnegie Hall ...

MIDAMERICA PRODUCTIONS: Ensemble Spotlight Series @ Carnegie Hall. 

Choral groups from China, California, Arizona, Georgia, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, and Oregon, with Orchestral groups from St. Charles, Illinois, performed a diverse program of modern compositions and works by Mendelssohn and Beethoven.

This was a totally enjoyable program, that was done in four segments, two orchestras, one mixed chorus and one children’s chorus.

My comp. seat was super-excellent, in the first tier, house right. 

I was seated next to a very nice 40s couple from Tulsa, Oklahoma, who had two daughters (a senior and a sophomore) performing in one of the combined choral groups. Their pride and excitement made the afternoon even more enjoyable for me.

The audience was really into the performance by the children’s chorus of over 200 elementary school-aged children from Taiwan, Arizona, and California.

They performed 7 numbers and each one was rewarded with a roaring round of applause and then a standing ovation when their program was completed to end the concert.

Yeah ... I left Carnegie Hall with a big smile on my face.

It was still very cold when the concert was over. I had just a touch of cabin fever so on the way back to the apartment I spent about an hour walking the subway platforms and then The Port Authority Bus Terminal.

This allowed me to end of the day with some decent mileage==>4.18 miles.

I spent the evening in the warm and cozy confines of my apartment watching the 3 1/2 hour SNL 40th Anniversary Show, that featured an awesome array of some of the legends of comedy. It was enjoyable and fun.

Now ... moving on ...

At 1:00pm today I will brave the elements to join Marty Kosarik aka Whatever, his cousin Jackie, and, hopefully, Dian Crystal aka My Lady, for lunch at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant, Meske, at West 47th Street in my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

I am really looking forward to this because it has been a while since we have been together.

Then ... for the evening is an Off Broadway show in my immediate Hell's Kitchen 'hood ...

7:30==>DAY OF - “Four disparate Americans, lost and lonely, journey to Paris in search of love. A mysterious symphony of speech and dreams unfold as their lives entangle in a web of paintings, opera, ghosts and absinthe.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This show has received mixed reviews, is playing at the Playwrights Horizons on West 42nd Street, immediately adjacent to my apartment building, has a running time of 1:35, without intermission, and runs through February 21st.

At the moment my next scheduled entertainment event isn’t until Saturday night. Yeah ... I know ... hopefully things in my immediate ‘hood will show up on my ticket services so I won’t be trapped in my apartment avoiding the cold.

OK ... time to post this and then get ready to head out for lunch.

Oh ... despite the freezing cold during the entire week I was able to maintain my walking program by walking in the apartment and in The Port Authority Bus Terminal. Boring but necessary. The mileage for the week was 28.43 miles. Not bad, all things considered.

STAY WARM EVERYONE IN THE TRI-STATE AREA

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.18 miles (or, 9,143 steps)

Total mileage for the week==>28.43 miles (average 4.06 miles per day)

Total mileage for 2015==>191.22 miles (average 4.16 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: