Sunday, January 4, 2009

December 2008 in The Big Apple

There is no doubt about it, December 2008 was an excellent month for me despite periods of very cold and nasty weather.

Before listing the actual statistics I have to state that the highlight of the month was being in Columbia, SC, for Christmas. I have found that as I have gotten older the opportunities I have to be with family members take on a deeper, almost spiritual meaning for me, that sometimes I neglect to adequately express while everyone is together. During these difficult times FAMILY is so important and we must never ever forget it!

December marked 2 years since my dear friend and colleague Senior Judge Randy Bentley of Lakeland, FL, left us. He and his wife Sue and their families remain in my thoughts and prayers. I really do miss him.

Now, on to other things, that being what I did during the last month of 2008. In reviewing my daily log (log, not diary - real guys don’t keep diaries) I find that during the month of December 2008 I saw/attended/did the following:

4 Broadway shows (Spring Awakening, Shrek: The Musical, Pal Joey, and The Tommy Reunion Concert); 17 Off-Broadway shows; 7 classical music concerts (mostly with the New York Philharmonic, including their New Year’s Eve Gala); and, 2 movies (Milk and The Day the Earth Stood Still).

I was able to spend some quality time with my fraternity brother and mega-Bull Gator, Stumpy Harris and his wife Dottie, from Orlando and their friend Sue, who lives in the foreign country known as Jersey. I did have some face-time, albeit too brief, with student/bartender/manager Scott Reed.

My friend Georgie retired after serving as a doorman in our building for over 20 years. I miss you already Big Guy.

I was out of the City for 3 nights for Christmas in Columbia, SC, with: my daughter Kathi Bendeck and her husband Dr. John; son Bill from Orlando and his massive Rottweiller Zeko; and, oldest Grandson Alex Falletta and his wife Gina. As I have written before, unfortunately, youngest Grandson Chris and his fiancĂ© Sally were unable to join us due to work related issues, including moving back to Gainesville, thereby leaving that cesspool known as “Fleasburg.”

December was a great month to be a part of The Gator Nation as the Gators won the SEC Championship by beating Alabama, and as a result, will play the Oklahoma University Sooners on January 8th in the BCS Championship game. The Gators will kick butt in the second half of the game and win their second National Championship in 3 years.

I was disappointed that Tim Tebow didn’t win his second Heisman Trophy but I can certainly understand the rationale behind giving it to Sooner QB Sam Bradford. As you faithful and loyal readers no doubt remember, back in the December 1st posting I predicted that Bradford would win: “...let me make a prediction [about] who will win the Heisman Trophy - it will be Oklahoma Quarterback Sam Bradford.”

There were only 3 days/nights during the month without some entertainment event, each as a direct result of the nasty weather. This maintains my history of attending some entertainment event 9 out of 10 days/nights.

In closing, as part of the fairness doctrine, I have to report that I failed in the promise I made to you, my loyal and faithful readers, in the December 1 posting wherein I promised to be more timely and current in my postings. For the month I only posted, gasp, 10 times. My bad. I will do better in 2009, I promise.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.co,

No comments: