Monday, January 12, 2009

2008 Report - An Awesome Year!!!

I am pleased to be able to finally post the much anticipated report on my activities for 2008, perhaps in more detail than even you, my loyal and faithful readers, desired. But, what can I do? It was an awesome year for me personally in The Big Apple and I want to report honestly about the things and stuff I have done.

Without a doubt the highlight of the entire year was the election of Barack Obama. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to witness this historic event. He must now lead us out of the malaise caused by the ineptitude of the Bush/Cheney administration and I have every reason to believe he will.

I understand that it may seem almost blasphemous to segue from the 2008 elections to my personal activities, but, hey ... this posting is about moi and the year 2008, so ...

In checking my daily log (log, not diary - real guys don’t keep diaries) and the contents of this blog, I find that during 2008 I saw/attended/did the following: 35 Broadway shows; 173 Off Broadway shows, plus 12 shows at the New York International Fringe Festival; 37 classical music concerts (mostly with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, including their Opening Night and New Year’s Eve Galas); 5 rock music concerts (Eric Clapton, The Eagles, Ringo Starr, Bon Jovi, and Neil Diamond); 18 movies; and 33 Yankee baseball games, including the final game in The House That Ruth Built - their record for the games I attended was only 19-14, and that sucked, but what sucked most was the fact that they didn’t even make the playoffs. I was out of NYC 44 nights and stayed in the apartment 33 days/nights without going out for some entertainment event (down 10 from 2007 and still mostly due to nasty weather).

When all of these statistics are factored in it means, my loyal and faithful readers, that during my time in The Big Apple I went to some entertainment event 9 out of 10 days/nights, and I think this statistic in and of itself represents what Billi Pod’s New York City lifestyle is really about. I know it isn’t everyone’s cup-of-tea, as “they” say, but it is mine and it is why I am here and why I will remain here for as long as I am physically and mentally able to.

I celebrated my 18th AA birthday on March 18 and my 74th birthday on April 23 (barf and double barf - I don’t like being 74 years old). Although I remain devoted to my various iPods (4 in number) and my name legally remains Billi Pod, I must report that I have become one with my iPhone to the point that he/she/it is my constant companion, with whom I share, among other things, my bed.

During the year I: was honored to be present when oldest grandson, Warrant Officer Alex Falletta, received his Wings as an Apache helicopter pilot; saw Alex’s wife Gina receive her BS degree from the University of South Carolina; re-subscribed to 3 concert series with the New York Philharmonic for the 2008/2009 season; made an application to upgrade my Yankee season ticket package to the new 41 game package in the new Yankee Stadium (I haven’t received notification yet whether my application has been accepted); and, on December 31st completed 14 wonderful years of retirement and I know that I am the type of retiree that drives pension-plan actuaries absolutely crazy.

I was out of the Big Apple for 44 nights, including: 5 nights in Fort Rucker, AL, and Columbia, SC, for Alex’s penning ceremony and then the move back to SC; 20 nights in San Francisco, Japan and China as part of my awesome Globus tour; 5 nights in Orlando to be with my son Bill as he underwent a procedure to correct an ear problem; 4 nights in Columbia for Gina’s college graduation; 7 awesome nights in Paris with my fraternity brother and former law school roommate David West; and, another 3 nights in Columbia, SC, for Christmas with my daughter Kathi and her husband Dr. John, son Bill and his massive Rottweiller Zeko, and grandson Alex Falletta and his wife Gina.

During the year I was able to spend time in the City with lots of folks, including: my daughter Kathi and husband Dr. John Bendeck of Columbia, SC; Dwight and Joanne Wells of Key West, FL; former roomie David West of Gainesville and Paris; retired Circuit Judge Susan Roberts and her husband, attorney Dan Brawley, of Lakeland, FL; mega-Bull Gator Stumpy Harris and his wife Dottie, of Orlando, FL, along with Dottie’s friend Sue from New Jersey; Gina Falletta and her friend Kelly, of Columbia, SC; Sandy Mullon of Anna Maria, FL; Gordon Warner and his now wife Carole of Taveres, FL; University of Florida classmate, attorney Stephen Gardner of NYC; Dian Crystal of NYC; student/bartender/manager Scott Reed of NYC and his mother Donna of Lakeland, FL; student/waiter Ben Sears; and not to be forgotten or overlooked - my AA buddies - you know who you are.

In April I became part of the blog community by creating this blog at 7:19pm on April 6th. It has been fun for the most part. I posted 166 times during 2008. Additionally, I forward the confirmation email from the blog website to the roughly 125 remaining cyberspace friends who were on my original newsletter email list.

As I have written many times before on this blog, 2008 was a wonderful year to be a part of The Gator Nation as the football team began its march toward the National Championship, culminating in 2009 with the win over Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game. Our only misstep was the inexplicable loss to Old Miss. In the 2007 summary I made the following prediction: “The 2007 Gator football team didn’t live up to my expectations, but I have a feeling that the 2008 Gators will be a powerhouse.” Will Tebow return? My gut tells me yes, and, if so, the Gators could go all the way again. (since I prepared this for posting Tebow has announced that he will indeed be back for his Senior year - awesome!!).

Other highlights include the surprise birthday trip to Staten Island via a Mini Cooper with Scott Reed and Ben Sears and the awesome Thanksgiving dinner at Spitzer’s Corner in the Lower Eastside with Scott, his mom Donna and his friend Ava.

Every year has downsides and, unfortunately, 2008 was no exception, highlighted, I think, by the economic downturn that has touched so many people I know here in the Big Apple and in Florida. Hopefully, our new President will push all the right buttons to get us back on track. The crane collapse in March at the building site on my block that resulted in 7 deaths still remains unresolved. The year also marked 5 years since I lost my dear friend Ray Coker, 4 years since Marvin Mounts left us; 2 years since Randy Bentley passed, and 1 year since Bill’s mother Donna Warner left us. During the year the mind boggling ineptitude of the Bush/Cheney administration continued, but, Thank You Dear Lord, it is almost over. As mentioned above, the Yankees basically sucked. It remains to be seen if their multi-million dollar spending spree will get them back on track. I think it will.

I am happy to report that my health remains very good and I still see my cardiologist briefly every 6-8 weeks to monitor my meds. I have experienced no major problems with my left knee and it remains pain free. During the year I maintained my weight within the targeted range of 162-164 pounds and I have pretty much achieved my target of walking 21 miles a week over and above the “normal” stuff. So, my Higher Power willing, I guess I will just “keep on keeping on” - one day at a time.

What do I think about the upcoming year? My predictions in this area haven’t been so good - last year, for example, I made the following prediction: “I think Hillary will be the Democratic nominee and probably Giuliani the Republican, with the winner being - tada - Hillary.” Really missed the boat on that one. Like most folks, I am looking forward to the first 100 days of the Obama administration. In April, over my birthday on the 23rd, I will be in Paris with my roomie David West. At this point I haven’t made any other travel plans although I am considering adding a week in London following my week in Paris with David. A lot depends on which, if any, season ticket plan the Yankees offer me and the exchange policy within that plan. Hopefully the Yankees will open the new stadium with a return to the World Series and, of course, bringing another World Championship to the Bronx, where they belong. Go to hell Boston Fucksox, go straight to hell.

Seeing a taping of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report also remains on my to-do list.

OK, this is enough information and details. You, my loyal and faithful readers, are now up-to-date on my 2008 activities. At this point the annual question recurs: “Has this 74 year old guy slowed down any?”

You be the judge. I report - you decide.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

PS: I apologize in advance if I have omitted anyone or any event. My bad. Please forgive me.

No comments: