Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wednesday - Departure Day Minus One

The countdown to my Japan/China Adventure is almost over and I have spent most of the past two days finishing up my To-Do list, which includes getting the apartment ready for family visitors week after next.

I really thought through what I was going to pack in the duffle bag, keeping in mind what assholes the airlines have become in their desire to squeeze the last dollar out of already stressed travelers. Unless I have forgotten something important I think I will be about 10 pounds under the 50 lb. limit. I will also carry on some stuff in a suit bag. I don’t like to carry on but I have to consider the possibility of the duffle ending up in Amsterdam when I deplane in San Francisco. Yes, the Norris Travel Curse is still active.

I did resist packing everything black (shirts, pants, shoes etc.) because I didn’t want my tour-mates to believe that I had only one set of clothes, which I wore every day for 3 weeks, so I included a couple of red shirts and a pair of blue jeans. Normally I wouldn’t care what other people might “think” but since we are going to be together for 3 weeks, sometimes in very close quarters, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Or, maybe I just wimped out. Whatever.

I will do my best to make timely postings, depending, of course, on internet access.

Now, other things --

I want to congratulate my soulmate, Rosemary Barkett, for successfully completing her Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage in Northern Spain, in 18 days. That is 18 days of hiking. Rosemary, I am soooooooo proud of you for accomplishing this once-in-a-lifetime experience. You did it girl! AWESOME!!!

On the entertainment scene - saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall Monday night and enjoyed it very much. If you like the Superbad/Knocked Up brand of humor, this is the movie for you.

On Monday I also had a nice lunch with student/intern/bartender Scott Reed. We ate at a neighborhood Mexican restaurant called Blockheads. It was damaged in the crane collapse and has just reopened.

As I anticipated, the critics absolutely ravaged Glory Days with some of the nastiest, meanest comments about everything concerning the show that I have seen in a long time.

And, the Yankees lost the first 2 games of the 3 game series against Cleveland. I hope they will have turned things around when I get back.

Gosh, I hope that about this time in 24 hours I will in the final approach to the San Francisco Airport.

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: