Saturday, May 3, 2008

Friday - Back From Freezing Yankee Stadium

Well, against my better judgment I went out to Yankee Stadium for the Yankees vs. Seattle game, the first game of a 3 game series, and it was freezing with a strong steady wind blowing directly in from center field. The radio announcer (I always listen to the broadcast during the game) said it was the coldest and nastiest weather of the season and I concur. I was dressed warmly and this time I remembered to bring my gloves, but, it was still very unpleasant. In fact, I left at the end of the 7th inning - enough was enough.

The good side - the Yankees won 5-1 behind another outstanding outing by Ching-Mien Wang with 3 scoreless innings from the bullpen. Wang’s record is a league leading 6-0. Thus far the Yankees are 3-1 in games I have seen. My next game won’t be until the June 3rd game against Toronto.

On Thursday I had a terrific lunch with Steve Gardner and it was great to get back in touch with him and to be brought up-to-date about him, professionally and family-wise. I look forward to spending more time with Steve when I get back from my Japan/China trip.

My entertainment event for Thursday night was another Broadway show in previews, a rock musical called Glory Days. The story line is that 4 high school buddies reunite a year after graduation. They meet on the bleachers of their high school football field and compare notes on how they have each changed and how they will deal with these changes. The four young guys were excellent and I liked the show a lot but I have a gut-feeling that it will have a difficult time finding an audience. I hope I am wrong.

All of the day on Friday was spent doing things and stuff in preparation for the Japan/China adventure including getting some foreign currency: China - yuan; Japan - yen. I feel pretty good about where I am in the process. The countdown has definitely begun.

Saturday I have another Broadway musical, Cry-Baby, a recently opened adaptation of the 1990 John Waters movie. Reviews have been mixed, so we will see ... At this point Sunday is open.

Speaking of Sunday - my youngest grandson, Christopher Falletta (whom I have renamed Topher), of Gainesville, will celebrate his 26th birthday on Sunday - congrats Topher.

Bill
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: