Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday - Good News and Bad News from the Yankees

Yesterday I received the official notification from The Yankees regarding my 2009 season ticket package request. It contained both good news and bad news.

First a little history. I have been a partial season ticket holder since 2001, opting for what was called a “20-game Flex Plan,” meaning I could select which of the 20 games I wanted to attend, with certain restrictions regarding “premium” games, ie. Boston and The Mets.

Each season I also purchased tickets to additional games, making my regular season record of between 33 and 38 games. I opted for a seat location in the Loge area but was never in the same seat from game to game. The Loge is a covered area between the field level and the upper deck. In 2001 my seats started in the area just behind either lst or 3rd base but, dammit-to-hell, each year my seat assignments were moved further and further into the outfield areas. This was due to more seats going to corporations and big spenders. This pissed me off, but there was nothing I could do about it.

When the 2008 season ended we were sent notices that all season ticket holders, regardless of type, would be placed in a “relocation pool” and would subsequently be offered a package based on things like seniority, prior history and availability. The Flex Plans were eliminated. We were given the opportunity to request other packages.

So, I took a deep breath and requested an upgrade to a 41 game package that begins with the Opening Game and then every other home game thereafter. I also requested a seat location in the area in the new stadium that most closely resembles (as best as I could tell) the Loge area in the old stadium.

When the envelope arrived yesterday I took a deep breath and opened it - well, first the bad news, I was offered only a 20-game package that begins with the second home game and then every 4th game thereafter. Ticket exchange is permitted, subject to availability.

The good news - the seat location is excellent, section 212 in the Main area, row 4, seat 11, right in the middle of the section. It is on the first base side about 1/3 of the way between lst base and the right field wall. It is the same seat for every game.

I was given the option of declining the offer and seeking an upgrade, which meant that I would be placed back in the “relocation pool’” and would forfeit this package and seat location. They stressed that there was no guarantee that my request to upgrade would be met. I would have until February 27th to decline, or to pay in full ($1,425.00). The tickets are $15 more per game than last year.

Actually, once I calmed down and thought about it, I determined I was better off to accept this seat location, thereby establishing priority status for future seasons, than running the risk of being upgraded to the 41 game package but with shitty seats, or, worse-case scenario, not being offered anything.

I slept on it and, as “they” say - the check is now in the mail and I am glad the issue is finally resolved.

When single game tickets go on sale to the general public I will try to score some additional games but I know that most games will be sold out early on.

Couple of other observations about the new stadium - the old Yankee stadium had a seating capacity of 56,886 and the new one is 52,325 (including “standing room” - whatever in the hell that means). The outfield dimensions in the new stadium are exactly the same as in the old one. Seats are wider and there is more leg room. The old stadium had 4 dining and lounge options, the new one has 12. Restroom availability has been increased by 35%.

I am more than ready for the season to begin.

Have lots of other stuff to report, but will post this and then begin working on the other stuff.

Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: