Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday Night - Billi Pod Is Staying In!

Good evening my loyal and faithful readers. Why am I writing on this blog on a Thursday night in the Big Apple, you are no doubt breathlessly asking? Well, it begins with W and ends in WEATHER. Let me explain ...


When I woke up this morning around 7:30am it was gray and ugly out and it shortly got even worse. It began to snow. Damn, I had a 10:00am followup appointment with my eye doctor at his office at 49th Street and lst Avenue. I bundled up and headed out and it was every bit as nasty as I anticipated. I walked very carefully to and from the subway stations because the snow was forming ice after it hit the ground.


The eye doctor session went very well and he cleared me to return to normal activities, including bending and lifting. Yeah! I hope to schedule the surgery for the right eye within the next two weeks. Will keep you advised.


It had stopped snowing when I left the Dr.s office but it was windy and very cold. I did make a quick trip to the grocery store. Later in the day the sun came out and that lasted until sundown, then it started to get really ugly again and the wind greatly increased off of the Hudson River.


My entertainment event for tonight was a “dark comedy” Off Broadway show called “Rough Sketch” @ 8:30pm at the 59E59 Theater on the Eastside. The weather forecasters said it would be in the low 30s (18 with wind chill) around the time I would have to head out. I was really torn about what to do until I actually went outside of 420 W. 42nd around 7:00pm just to check things out. OMG!! The wind cut like a knife. I mean it was howling like a storm. The saner side of Billi Pod stepped forward - no way was I going to brave the cold for this show, no way. My ticket was purchased through TDF for only $9.00 so I had no problem about skipping the performance, and I did.


So, it is around 9:15 and I am nice and cozy in PHC and I will alternate writing this posting and re-reading “The Catcher In The Rye” by J. D. Salinger, who died today at the age of 91.



I had my first physical therapy session on Tuesday and it went very well. My therapist is Joe, in his early 30s, with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from NYU. His initial thoughts are: “Possible Distal Bicep Tear,” depending, of course, on the results of the MRI. The only 100% cure is surgery. Ouch!! His description of the post-surgery rehab with cast and sling etc. didn’t make me very happy either. I see my orthopedic doctor, Peter Tang, on Friday, February 5th.


We did about 30 minutes of exercises and massage and you know what? The forearm feels a whole lot better, it really does. My next session is at 10:00am in the morning and guess where it is located - about a block from the 59E59 Theater. The forecast is 18 degrees and wind chill of 9 degrees. Rather ironic don’t you think?


Q: “And my dear Kathi, how did your esteemed and universally beloved Father contract the fatal pneumonia that brought about his much too early demise? Sob. Sob. Sob.”


Kathi: “All I know is that he was outside in the elements on his way to a physical therapy session to rehab his right forearm. Sob. Sob. Sob.”


Anyway - on to other things --


Monday night’s play “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” which I described in an earlier posting, was excellent. I vaguely remember reading the book in High School but had never seen it on stage.


“Happy Now?” on Tuesday was very well performed but ... damn ... isn’t anyone happy anymore? I mean, come on, aren’t there people out there who are happy with their marriage, their kids, their parents, their jobs, the world? I guess not from most of the shows I have seen lately.


Which brings me to last night’s disaster, a so-called “dark comedy” titled “Mazeltov Cocktail,” previously described in the last posting. First of all, it was anything but funny. It was 90 endless minutes filled with every dysfunctional-family cliché known to man. It was more like the playwright/performer's attempted exorcism of past and current family transgressions. It ... oh fuck ... no need to take any more time ... it just sucked.


I added a Saturday evening show performing at Playwrights Horizons, a theater immediately next door to PHC. The show is “Clybourne Park” in very early previews and this is the edited press blurb: “Who are the people in your neighborhood? In 1959, a white family moves out. In 2009, a white family moves in. In the intervening years, change overtakes a neighborhood, along with attitudes, inhabitants, and property values. Loosely inspired by Lorraine Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun, Bruce Norris's pitch-black comedy takes on the specter of gentrification in our communities, leaving no stone unturned in the process.” (discounted TDF ticket). Yeah, that’s right, the playwright’s last name is also Norris - how about that? And, oh yes - we have those dreaded words "black comedy" again.


Well, my loyal and faithful readers and Facebook friends, thanks for sticking with me for this long. I think I will post this and get back to reading “Catcher.”


Go Gators!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: