Sunday, February 22, 2015

More Snow - Carnegie Hall Concert - Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra - John Scott Reed - Oscar Predictions


Sunday==>Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, yesterday was another nasty weather day here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. 

It began snowing around 2:00pm and snowed for several hours with accumulations that later turned basically into ice and slush on the sidewalks and at the crosswalks.

As I posted yesterday, I went to the Food Emporium across the street from my apartment building. As I was walking back with bags of stuff it began to snow. Luckily I made it back to the apartment before the heavier snow arrived.

I just chilled (no pun intended) for the remainder of the afternoon, had the usual fruit and cheese plate, and then it was time to brave the elements to subway up to Carnegie Hall on West 57th Street for my 8:00pm concert.

When I left the building it was lightly snowing/sleeting again and it was majorly nasty due to the accumulated ice and show.

I walked very very carefully. At the end of my block a 30s lady walking toward me took a serious fall. I am assuming it was due to black ice. She didn’t appear to injure herself though and that was good.

At this point I began to wonder why the fuck I was subjecting myself to the possibility of a serious slip-and-fall. Did I head back to the apartment? Of course not ... I continued on and made it to Carnegie Hall at bit early, so I walked the 57th street subway platforms for some much needed mileage.

Picked up my comp. ticket, which was acceptable, in the orchestra, row C, dead center. A little closer than I like, but acceptable. I figured I could move back at intermission if I wanted to.

The lobby was really messy as a result of people bringing ice and snow inside with them when they arrived. Saw an older lady slip and almost fall on her back. Lucky for her someone caught her mid-fall.

At this point I made the following mental note to self ...

Self==>you’ve got to face the truth ... breaking your hip is not worth trying to avoid trouble with a ticket service for not picking up a ticket. In the future ... be real ... you ain’t indestructible ... you just ain’t.

Then, the entertainment Gods gave your favorite blogger a major reprimand because ... the concert ...

TRINITY CHOIR @ Carnegie Hall - The program was:

Ives - Symphony No. 4; and
Ginastera - Turbae ad Passionem Gregorianam,

was a total downer for me.

The Ives Symphony just didn’t work for me, or, for that matter, for the people seated around me. It was atonal dreck projected with earsplitting volume for 40 minutes.

In the program and in the press blurb it was described as being “... the greatest 20th century masterpiece you’ve never heard.”

Hey, Mr. Director==>the reason it hasn’t been heard is because it sucks

When the Ives fiasco was over I fled the Hall because I just didn’t want to spend another hour listening to the Ginastera work which was also described as being “... the greatest 20th masterpiece you’ve never heard.”

I very carefully walked from the Port Authority Bus Terminal back to the apartment and made it back OK ... but it was scary ... it really was.

Now ... what about today?

Well, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, today is developing into a very interesting day .... beginning with ...

Much better weather ... at 11:00am it is cloudy but the temperature is above freezing for the first time in days and days. Yes, it is a balmy 34º, with no wind chill factor.

Then, Billi Pod has ... 

A classical music concert at Lincoln Center ... 

3:00==>ROTTERDAM  PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program is:

Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 1 (performed by Nicholas Angelich); and,
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 5
(classical music concert - discounted TDF ticket)

I am, of course, very familiar with both of these works and this is why I booked this event.

When the concert is over I will subway back to the apartment and then ... 

I will meet up with John Scott Reed aka Fabson for early dinner some place in my immediate Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood.

The details are incomplete as I am preparing this posting. The important thing is that we are going to have some much needed/wanted facetime and that is excellent.

Then, after dinner I will come back to the apartment and settle in to watch ...

8:30==>THE 87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris and carried on ABC.

Now ... my loyal and faithful readers and followers, here are Billi Pod’s predictions for the Oscar winners in the major categories ... tada ... 

BEST PICTURE
Birdman
Boyhood
American Sniper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Will win: Birdman
Should win: Boyhood
Possible major upset: American Sniper

DIRECTOR
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Alejandro Inarritu - Birdman
Bennett Miller - Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tydum - The Imitation Game
Will win: Richard Linklater
Should win: Linklater

BEST ACTOR
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
Michael Keaton - Birdman
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper - American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
Will win: Michael Keaton
Should win: Eddie Redmayne

BEST ACTRESS
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Reese Witherspoon - Wild
Marion Cotillard - Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Will win: Julianne Moore
Should win: ?????

SUPPORTING ACTOR
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Edward Norton - Birdman
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
Will win: J.K. Simmons
Should win: Ethan Hawke

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Emma Stone - Birdman
Laura Dern - Wild
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Meryl Streep - Into the Woods
Will win: Patricia Arquette
Should win: Arquette

You are so very welcome.

As usual, when the winners take the stage to begin their ponderous and overlong “thank-you’s” Billi Pod will hit the mute button on his remote.

OK, everyone ... time to post this and then get ready for my afternoon’s concert ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>4.23  miles (or, 8,254 steps)

Total mileage for 2015==>212.24 miles (average 4.08 miles per day)

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: