Thursday, December 11, 2014

Love Letters - New York Philharmonic Concert


Thursday==>It is a gray and overcast morning here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World. But, this is better than yesterday, which was a totally yucky day with rain and then light snow. Thankfully, the snow was not heavy enough to accumulate.

So ... let’s move on to something much more positive ... like ...

Billi Pod’s report card on yesterday afternoon’s Broadway show ...

LOVE LETTERS, this revival of A. R. Gurney’s two-character dramedy is about two friends, rebellious Melissa Gardner and straight-arrow Andrew Makepeace Ladd III, who have exchanged notes, cards and letters with each other for over 50 years. From second grade, through summer vacations, to college, and well into adulthood, they have spent a lifetime discussing their hopes and ambitions, dreams and disappointments, and victories and defeats==>A

Featured in this performance were Alan Alda and Candice Bergen and both were excellent. 

The actors sit behind a table and read from letters their characters had exchanged over their lifetime.

It is extremely entertaining and very emotionally involving as the characters develop and evolve from elementary school to old age.

When I saw the show back on September 17 I gave it an A. The cast then was Brian Dennehy and Mia Farrow and they were very good. I liked Alda and Bergen better because they seemed to be more into portraying the characters rather than just reading the letters.

To add to this pleasure - my comp. seat was excellent, in the orchestra, row G, 2 seats from the aisle, house left. I had a great sight line to the performers on stage.

I saw this show with my friend Marty Kosarik aka Whatever, who had also seen it before, and he shared my view regarding Alda and Bergen.

As I posted yesterday, the show will be ending its run early, with the final performance on Sunday, December 14th @ 3:00pm

Billi Pod says==>see this show if you possibly can.

It is playing at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on West 47th Street and has a running time of 1:40, without intermission.

When the show was over I braved the light snow and returned to the apartment.

Nothing of interest showed up on any of my ticket services so ... I gave myself a night off ... a rarity for your favorite blogger. I won't bore you with the boring details, or lack thereof ... so ...

Moving on to today’s scheduled entertainment event ...

A classical music concert up at Lincoln Center ...

7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - The program is:

Dvorak - Piano Concert (performed by Martin Helmchen); and,

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 “From the New World”
(free - subscription series perk)

Yeah ... a free ticket with an excellent orchestra seat to a NY Phil concert featuring one of my favorite symphonies, Dvorak’s “From the New World.” Totally AWESOME and I am majorly charged about this.

OK, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... I have things and stuff to do, including a delayed visit to The Food Emporium ... so ... time to post this and get going ... 

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.50 miles (or, 7,663 steps)

Total mileage for 2014==>1,384.86 miles (average 4.03 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

No comments: