Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wednesday Was An Excellent Doubleheader.


Thursday==>Sorry, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, about the delay in posting about yesterday’s excellent entertainment doubleheader. I won’t bore you with the details other than to say that I had an appointment with my ear doctor, Rose DuLude, that took a bit longer than anticipated ... so ...

Let’s get down to business with Billi Pod’s report cards, starting with ...

THE OLD FRIENDS - “A drama about shy, middle-aged lovers and boozy divas and issues surrounding legacy, loyalty, and the meaning of happiness that have hounded them for generations==>A

This Horton Foote drama, featuring Betty Buckley and Hallie Foote, has excellent acting that makes the troubling story line tolerable.

The characters are mostly unlikeable. Almost everyone gets drunk and I personally found that to be kinda disturbing, however, I am glad that I finally got to see it because it closes on Sunday.

Why does it deserve an A? Easy==>Betty Buckley.

Billi Pod says==>it is worth seeing.

For the evening I met up with my theater-buddy Marty Kosarik aka Whatever and his friend Cathy Altholz at the City Cinema on 2nd Avenue in the Union Square area for the just released movie ...

BROADWAY IDIOT, the documentary movie that follows Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong as he works with Broadway veterans to turn his mega-hit album, American Idiot, into a Broadway musical==>A

The show is totally enjoyable, if you are a Green Day fan and/or a fan of American Idiot. It really does a good job in giving insights into the inner workings of mounting a Broadway show.

As I posted yesterday, Marty is a self-confessed American Idiot addict because he has seen the show on Broadway and on its national tour(s) a total of 35 times, and yes, that is the correct number==>30-fucking-5 times. (Today he corrected the number from 37 down to 35).

When the show was over we had a great dinner at a Ukrainian restaurant also on 2nd Avenue.

So ... Mary and Cathy ... it was a fun evening and great to be with you.

Now, what about today?

Well, I am finally getting around to seeing an Off Broadway show that I have been waiting to show up on my ticket services. Earlier, every time it had showed up, I already had something booked ...

7:00==>THE FILM SOCIETY - “This Jon Robin Baitz drama is set in a South African school for boys in 1970 and chronicles the struggle of a young teacher to keep politics out of his extracurricular film club. After the school becomes embroiled in an Apartheid controversy, he must decide whether to support his activist colleague or side with the headmaster who can make or break his career.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)

This mostly well-reviewed show is playing at the Theatre Row Complex on my block, has a running time of 2:20, with intermission, and runs through October 26th.

When the show is over I will have time to watch the final innings of the Boston FuckSox/Tigers ALCS game, from Detroit. The series is tied 2-2 after The Tigers kicked butt yesterday, winning 7-3.

Again, my loyal and faithful readers and followers ... I am sorry for the delay ... so ...

I want to close with something strictly for my male readers and followers ...


Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>5.00 miles (or, 10,942 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/13==>369.80 miles (average 3.46 miles per day)

GO GATORS!!  

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”


1 comment:

Marty said...

I was just about to leave a comment about how the quality of the blog was going downhill fast. That it was still filled with useless (and I'm convinced made up) BASEBALL statistics. Like anybody in their right mind would believe baseball was still going on as we near the end of October. Please Billi, do you take us for fools. Anyway, as I was about to complain about the serious decline in aesthetic value lately, you post that magnificent picture from your movie. Who was that dashing, handsome man standing next to the poster for Broadway Idiot? Now, him...we want to see more of HIM. Perhaps you could post a picture of his other side along with his email address so we could all contact him to meet personally? Do it for the blog.