Friday, September 19, 2008

Breaking News - Paris Here I Come


Yep, the details are now complete and I will be making an October trip to Paris to spend a week with my former law school roommate David West of Gainesville, FL. Actually, I think it would be fairer to describe David as 1/2 Floridian and 1/2 Parisian. He feels about Paris the same way I feel about New York City so when he retired at the very early age of 58 1/2 he began traveling and spending ever increasing time in Paris.

He has gravitated to the Latin Quarter area and has rented apartments for extended periods of time in basically the same ‘hood. In 2007 I spent a week with him following a week in London. I had been to Paris twice before as part of Globus structured tours but this time was certainly different because it gave me the opportunity to see Paris thorough the eyes of a non-tourist. I spent a lot of time just wandering around, getting to know different areas of the city. This is what I expect to do this time also.

David has rented an apartment for 3 months this fall and was gracious enough to extend me an open invitation, which I happily accepted. This apartment is just blocks away from the apartment he had in 2007 and that is good because I feel very comfortable in his ‘hood.

I will depart JFK at 7:00pm on Wednesday, October 15th, arriving at Paris at 8:50am on Thursday. The apartment address is: 27 Rue Lacepede. I will depart Paris at 1:15pm on Wednesday, October 22nd, arriving at JFK at 3:15pm EST the same day.

Really looking forward to this new adventure.

Oh, the final home game ticket didn’t sell on Stub Hub, so I wasn’t presented with the dilemma of choosing between baseball history and ka-ching ka-ching.

On Saturday I am having lunch with longtime friends Dwight and Joanne Wells of Key West, FL, who are in The City for a week or so of theater stuff and other things. We will meet up at my favorite theater district restaurant, Angus McIndoe, on 44th Street. When we finish I will come on back to the apartment to watch the Gators kick Tennessee’s butt. Dwight and Joanne will see Altar Boyz, at my suggestion. On Thursday night they saw Spring Awakening, also at my suggestion. I am sure we will get together again sometime during their stay.

Tonight is my next-to-last game at The House That Ruth Built. Even with the win last night the Yankees record for games that I have seen remains woeful, 17 wins and 14 losses. I was seated in a area with lots of other season ticket holders and to a person we were really upset and down about this season and expecting only bad news when the results of the “Relocation Pool” are released. Oh well ...

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: